Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stinger GT vs SSV Redline 0-100 & 1/4 Mile

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Time for an antihistamine I think.

That Kia is slick and as I've said before, I don't mind the look of it. I find the comparison pointless though. The Swinger is quicker to 100 and over the 1/4mile than a VF2 SS. Great. The SS is also quicker than the in video, but it s time was beaten by the Kia.
We drive our cars in so many different ways, environments, applications, up hills, down twisty mountains, through school zones on holidays towing the boat etc. We don't do 0-100 blasts or 1/4 mile squirts very often. So why focus on 1 test result? Because, there is no correlation between that result, and how well the car performs in the real world.
It may be an awesome car. Or it may be a one trick pony. Time will tell.

I’ve been around too long to ever get overly hung up on needing to own the quickest car as I’ll always end up disappointed when the next model comes out or another competing manufacturer ups the ante by few more kilowatts.

Therefore I look towards other features in cars that appeal to me like having plenty of modern tech to do with safety, performance and entertainment which I’m sure the Stinger would have in spades and one of the first and most important boxes that must be ticked is a V8 nestled in the nose as that is a major turn on for an old school performance freak like me.

The same goes when I mod a car, even though I know forced induction is usually more efficient and quicker the old school part of me still can’t turn away from the mechanical sound show and drama of an N/A cammed car.

So no matter how fast the Stinger may be and I’m sure if it becomes popular it will only get faster with subsequent models, it will never be high on my list as it doesn’t tick a box that is important to me.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I’ve been around too long to ever get overly hung up on needing to own the quickest car as I’ll always end up disappointed when the next model comes out or another competing manufacturer ups the ante by few more kilowatts.

Therefore I look towards other features in cars that appeal to me like having plenty of modern tech to do with safety, performance and entertainment which I’m sure the Stinger would have in spades and one of the first and most important boxes that must be ticked is a V8 nestled in the nose as that is a major turn on for an old school performance freak like me.

The same goes when I mod a car, even though I know forced induction is usually more efficient and quicker the old school part of me still can’t turn away from the mechanical sound show and drama of an N/A cammed car.

So no matter how fast the Stinger may be and I’m sure if it becomes popular it will only get faster with subsequent models, it will never be high on my list as it doesn’t tick a box that is important to me.
That box:
IMG_0640.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
OK gimme a minut... dreamin ‘bout a sexy ass Asian, popped outta Gangnam smiles and titties blazin - look under the sheets masculinity failin, oh my god imma fucken an alien!
View attachment 195365
FTW and where we at, pouring 40 for ol Commie. Pass mike to Jong-il gonna rap next line fo' me...
On the special setup traction control for AWD overboost launching... reminds me of an 86 pulled in front just as slowing down from 80 kph to the lights at Raymond Terrace. Rude, brash. Had a sprintex, canons and lowered, rims and stickers about computers or something, thought great you little mofo not just gonna shut you down gonna run over little matchbox ass too.
Sure enough on green it slid bit left then right apparently trying hard to impress, let it go for a bit then planted it, flashed him over and zoomed past about twice his speed at 3-4000 RPM. Yeah nah 0-100 is for kids, relax set the rabbit free then chomp it’s arse. :cool:
Haha. Love it!

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Weird!? Sports mode should change 1-2 closer to 60kph not 48?!
Cue to 1:22 (not first but second change) and listen to the pause in shifting 2-3, half a second. Is that what happens in the Sports Mode Auto with a stock MSE?
View media item 3185300 shift points are useless in LS3:
View media item 319main thing is look at the LS3 (green) recovery RPM, well below torque curve.
Needless to say 5300 is well below 5700 stock LS3 HP peak, which happens to be closer to correctly meeting torque curve on recovery RPM:
View media item 320To put that in perspective, this is the best you can hope for shifting at 5300:
View attachment 195344
Holding it in gear:
View media item 325
So the test was not flat-out outright, KIA revved 500 past it's HP at 6000, VFII revved 500 rpm below peak, to 5300. You can rightly say the KIA was being caned and the VFII hardly near its limit, and that sounds awfully like an excuse given the hard data. But it's a fact.
Be that a fault of the driver, conditions, the settings / mode, but a 5300 shift in a 6l80 recovers before torque curve starts (not 'on cam' dome in first graph above) if that is stock it sits way too low for shift recovery (plus a suss 2-3 stutter likely TCS).
Verdict: Clearly shows crappy trans tune of the VFII as-is, tarnishes the potential of this car. I suggest if your car shifts remotely like this that you get a proper tune for 5700-6000 shifts (peak HP). Simply holding in gear longer or manual shift and a drastically different result.

The operator was a driver, not a Driver.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
So how on earth could the driver change into 2nd at 48 kph (5300), and the shift into 3rd cuts out (?!) for half a second or so at 98 (5300)?
I think the driver either was not completely on it or not in the best mode.

It is called "Sandbagging"

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Nice video. They even short fueled the Commodore to stop people using that as an excuse to it's performance shortfall.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Wow that Stinger really smacked that Commodore's bum.

The Commodore time doesn't surprise me, in stock form they've always been slow to 100.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
What I got from this is that, after unscientific testing that makes zero allowances for human driver reaction times (no staging lights/cameras/triggered timing) ..

One has an auto transmission that changes at slightly lower revs, traction control that can be completely disabled, a better soundtrack, and more backseat room.
The other has an auto transmission with launch control, traction control that can't be completely disabled, is probably slightly lighter as it brakes in 1 meter less distance from 100+ kph, and has two very-expensive-to-repair turbochargers.

I know which one I think would be more likely to do 250,000 km on Australian roads without an engine rebuild.

p.s. 5:56 for a shot of several real plastic shitboxes