Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock 304, Guide to choosing a camshaft

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Same, no expert, but with that comp shame not to go bigger cam, but depends how vehicle is to be usedand personal preference . If it's not a daily I personally would be tempted to push a little past what you would consider acceptable .
Again comes down to personal preference but I know I would accept it being a bit crankier and harder to drive if it wasn't my daily, even if I used it say 3 times a week .
With that comp,cam and a bit of other work will be a nice improvement on standard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute, VN V8 Berlina Wags
Thats why i picked this cam. Didnt wanna have to spend alot of money on upgrading. And its a daily.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Will be interested to see what you and how it ends up and what you think of it

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Only way to find out is to do the calcs. I'm putting together and engine with a cam similar to the 276 which will have flat tops and MAYBE a little off the heads to get it to 9.5:1 or so. That's with VN heads. VT heads with flat tops means over 10:1 Comp.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Plenty of online CR calculators, using the following data,

bore 4.020"
stroke 3.06"
Head 58cc (VT heart shaped chamber)
Piston valve relief/dome 0
head gasket thickness 0.041"
Head gasket bore 4.060"
Deck height 0

I get 10.54:1 CR and 310cu

I'd really not take anything of the heads and possibly even get the machine shop to sweep out the side by the intake valve to improve flow and increase the head chamber volume a little.

Another option is to retard the cam timing a bit when installing it, it will delay the intake valve closing and drop the dynamic comp a little.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Pretty sure 304" is a 3.02xx stroke. 3.06 may be the old 308 stroke?

I have a cool calculator at work that does your normal comp and displacement numbers, but also with rod length and intake valve closing, it gives you dynamic comp and good cranking psi estimate.

Reaction score
Members Ride
It has vn heads so that will lower that figure(by how much?)
Head pprting will be minimum. Just a clean up and remove sharp edges under valve seats and stems.
The whole purpose of this motor for ppl who say why not bigger cam was to optimize the existing banana manifold, exhaust and gearbox otherwise i wood have to kiss goodbye to a few more grand for not that much more hp and as its a daily i wanted it to be well behaved.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also going any bigger with cam wood make its slower with what i have according to the first posts. It will be good for a squirt between lights and around town. It will prob never see a drag strip also

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It has vn heads so that will lower that figure(by how much?)
Head pprting will be minimum. Just a clean up and remove sharp edges under valve seats and stems.
The whole purpose of this motor for ppl who say why not bigger cam was to optimize the existing banana manifold, exhaust and gearbox otherwise i wood have to kiss goodbye to a few more grand for not that much more hp and as its a daily i wanted it to be well behaved.

bore 4.020"
stroke 3.02"
Head 62cc (VN chamber)
Piston valve relief/dome 0
head gasket thickness 0.041"
Head gasket bore 4.060"
Deck height 0

I get 9.89:1 CR which is much more in the ballpark for that cam. Upping the comp with a smallish cam will definitely wake up a 304 with banana's. You need to remember this guide was about cam selection for a stock stroke/compression combo, increasing the compression is a winner no matter what really. Even the stock factory tune is rather lazy, stock engine on decent fuel you can get a fair bit more timing into the low rpm area and wake it up.

Pretty sure 304" is a 3.02xx stroke. 3.06 may be the old 308 stroke?

I have a cool calculator at work that does your normal comp and displacement numbers, but also with rod length and intake valve closing, it gives you dynamic comp and good cranking psi estimate.

Could well be. I'll adjust ....