Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock Air Box vs VCM OTR data

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
make sure its not burst knock retard ? if u have the ability to run some ethanol thru it and it still knocks id say its false

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
make sure its not burst knock retard ? if u have the ability to run some ethanol thru it and it still knocks id say its false
Burst Knock are turned off at the moment. VFII has no flex fuel sensor and I think injectors are no compatible but they may survive half tank.

I will also try octane booster to see if it improves.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
even if u get a 20L drum of e85 and blend it to make some 98 petrol with 10% ethanol would be a good mix

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I drive around Sydney a lot so I might get some from the United at Rydalmere or hopefully from a Caltex at western creek according to google.
Maybe it is a good excuse to buy the flex sensor. I manage to see that the fuel pump, thank and hoses are ok for flex fuel on the VFii. I am not sure about the injectors but they will die again soon anyway !

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i installed the flex sensor in my GTS work great then if ur going on a long trip just use petrol or want some power or at track day go the ethanol, just look at your injector duty now and see if u can add 35% to it and still be safe, if u get flex sensor get the continental one with the fuel temp offset within

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
@07GTS being meaning to ask you about the temp offset. How does all that work? Does the ECU use that info or does the sensor change the alcohol Hz when temp is high???

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Interested also. So are you implying 07GTS, that the L77 OEM flex sensor doesn't have this function?

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I couldn't see any table on the E38 which uses fuel temperature. I have read that the sensor uses capacitance to measure alcohol content and fuel temperature affects it so the sensor use the temperature to correct the reading. So as @Banjo79 asked , the OEM sensor doesn't do the correction ?

OEM
Sensor (Replaces Part Number 13577429) - GM (13507129)
49 USD on GM parts direct

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
@07GTS being meaning to ask you about the temp offset. How does all that work? Does the ECU use that info or does the sensor change the alcohol Hz when temp is high???
its part of the flex sensor output to the ecu so nothing we can change, fuels like ethanol can get affected if the actual fuel heats up (does take a bit tho) and it affects the AFR, some have it for a reason best to use one with it

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Burst Knock are turned off at the moment. VFII has no flex fuel sensor and I think injectors are no compatible but they may survive half tank.

I will also try octane booster to see if it improves.
Put $10 e85 and fill tank, drive 50 km for trims to LTFT then another $15, monitor onboard with OBD before dropping her into it.
FWIW per someone mentioned above, sounds like you need to compare where your tune is at to a typical CAI tune. Defo wouldn’t drive it like that.