Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock Blue 202 | Trimatic vs Turbo 700

Acarzia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hi there,

I'm restoring a 1978 Bedford van, its going to have a blue 202 in it.

I have 2 gearbox options, the Trimatic or Turbo 700. The vans original came out with the Trimatic. I've read that the Turbo 700 might be sluggish as it is allot heavier than the Trimatic. Is that true?

What gearbox would you guys put in?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Hi there,

I'm restoring a 1978 Bedford van, its going to have a blue 202 in it.

I have 2 gearbox options, the Trimatic or Turbo 700. The vans original came out with the Trimatic. I've read that the Turbo 700 might be sluggish as it is allot heavier than the Trimatic. Is that true?

What gearbox would you guys put in?

I'd go 4-speed overdrive any day over trimatic. Shorter first gear will give you better acceleration and overdrive gives nicer highway cruisability. Having said that, The T700 won't bolt straight up to a 202 blue, so that needs to be taken into account.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I've read that the Turbo 700 might be sluggish as it is allot heavier than the Trimatic. Is that true?
As a percentage of the car the difference in weight would be barely anything, the TH700 would have to weight hundreds of kilos to make a difference like that.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Keep it simple & stick with the trimatic

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Depends on what you want to do with the car, if you just want to keep it simple go the trimatic. But If you want it to drive nicer and not feel so sluggish the T700 would allow you to put a shorter set of gears into it depending on whats in it already. The trade off is you will have to get a bellhousing adaptor and a bit more effort to make it all work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have an idea the old vans had fairly low gearing anyway, to help with load carrying.

Acarzia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Depends on what you want to do with the car, if you just want to keep it simple go the trimatic. But If you want it to drive nicer and not feel so sluggish the T700 would allow you to put a shorter set of gears into it depending on whats in it already. The trade off is you will have to get a bellhousing adaptor and a bit more effort to make it all work.
Do you know where I can buy a bell housing adapter

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Port city engines on ebay do them. Otherwise any decent speed shop should either have or be able to get you one.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Castlemaine Rod Shop do them. Highly likely you will need a tailshaft made to suit too.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux