Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock cam in a worked 304?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
I didnt like the 286 anyway, the car would chug and jerk to the lump of the cam while at cruising speed. I know it's an old holden gring but it's been custom ground to suit vn heads. This cam is the smallest cam I can go without risking pinging.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I didnt like the 286 anyway, the car would chug and jerk to the lump of the cam while at cruising speed. I know it's an old holden gring but it's been custom ground to suit vn heads. This cam is the smallest cam I can go without risking pinging.
That’s a tune issue - not an issue with the cam. I had a 226/[email protected] in an old 202 and it certainly didn’t give any driveability issues even though it was only a 3.3l with 3.08 gears in a hj. A 304 is much bigger and the efi means driveability is improved out of sight.

You’ll be disappointed with the 276 I think, and it’ll handle a 284 well.

Did you have it tuned or are you trying to run it like that on the stock tune?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
I had the 286 tuned by delcowizzard, yet to get a tune for the 603, I'll just live dyno tune it I think, not after big performance, it's in a manual ute so dropping a skid wont be a problem.... after all it's a work ute, just want reliability and a nice drive

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs V8 Ute
Stock cam won't save you coin if it still needs a retune & want to ping due to other mods listed so may as well do it all now instead of again later on.

I'd actually prefer smaller 284 if staying with banana manifold...more comp,better intake than 286 or similar solid will be nice.

Don't forget shorter diff gears.

Hi Guys,

Can you replace the cam on a VS V8 stocky (with a Crane 284) and Blue Top 775 injectors and run the cam in and then drive the car? OR will it run like a pig?

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi Guys,

Can you replace the cam on a VS V8 stocky (with a Crane 284) and Blue Top 775 injectors and run the cam in and then drive the car? OR will it run like a pig?
It’ll run with a 284 and should be fine to run the cam in with stock injectors, but I wouldn’t try driving it on a stock tune. It won’t be very nice.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As EYY said I'm sure it will run the 286 enough to run it in with the stock tune, it may not hold idle well though. A mate did a 286 in his VS a while back and was a pain in the ass just trying to get it on the trailer with the surging and idle issues to get it to the tuner.

I don't know if it will run the blue tops though, I remember going to 36lb injectors for a supercharged application in my VS years ago and it overfuelled to the point I couldn't start it until it was tuned.