Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock cam in a worked 304?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
It seems I have wiped an exhaust lobe, cylinder 2 on my crow 286 cam. I have worked 59cc heads with 130lb springs, big pacies into 3 inch x pipe (2.5 inch dual over the diff) , 25lb bluetop injectors, port matched bananas, soon to have installed flat top pistons (about 10:1 compression) lightened flywheel hd clutch bw t5.
My question is..... do you think the stock cam will still perform well? I have the motor out doing rear main seal, rings and bearings and the wiped lobe is making me lose sleep. I dont have the coin to replace the cam however the stock one I removed is still in good condition.

Thoughts?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Too much comp for a stock cam in a cast iron engine. 9.5 comp would be absolute max for stock cam on 95 with a decent tune I’d say. I wouldn’t chance putting a second hand cam back in either. Better off spending the $400 and doing it properly otherwise it’ll cost you more in the long run if it pings and does damage

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Given the specs listed above, do you have a grind in mind? Looks like another month off the road. I dont really want to pull the inner springs back out for break in either so maybe I should go solid?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Go the camtech version of the 286 if you want something similar again.

Don’t really need double springs with a hydraulic like that - and excessive spring pressure may have contributed to the camshaft damage.

Do the break properly and you won’t have any dramas. Seems pretty rare these days to wipe a lobe if the installation and run in are done properly

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What is intake close deg @50? That will determine if the came is too short to run in a 10:1 combo.
Still not the best plan, but if you have to run it then it's best to check first (before it pings its head off)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Stock cam won't save you coin if it still needs a retune & want to ping due to other mods listed so may as well do it all now instead of again later on.

I'd actually prefer smaller 284 if staying with banana manifold...more comp,better intake than 286 or similar solid will be nice.

Don't forget shorter diff gears.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys for your input. I've decided to go with a 280 (crow 603) has even lift and duration with 110 deg separation.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman