Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock Exhaust Manifold turbo conversion?

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Has anyone used stock exhaust manifolds for a turbo conversion?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What sort of car and engine? In most cases it can't be done as the outlet for the manifold is in a too confined a space to allow for a turbo. Unless you fabricate a pipe to somewhere that the turbo will fit.

Some manifolds can be turned upside down and swapped from left to right, in these cases you can use the original ones, but I wouldn't as the outlets are too small.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Some of your cast manifolds will have cracking issues too.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
For my 160,000km VN 5 speed I just bought. Given up on the bimmer, just going to use that for weekend cruising. The commodore is where Im gonna focus attention now. I have faith in the V6's are EVERYTHING is cheap, that is the reason why I bought it, and manual =)

To fit the 302 windsor in my old jag the exhaust manifolds had to be swapped and C pipes made up to go out the back. I am thinking of a easy way to get this project started.

I can make the piping to come to a single T3 on the front passenger side, otherwise I can go for a twin turbo setup with a pair of T25’s then upgrade to T28’s later down the track.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Some of your cast manifolds will have cracking issues too.

I can replace them for like $20 each lol.... that's the best thing about the old commodores. Otherwise I can probably re-weld it depending on the cracking. I have heard this about the VR's though.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I can replace them for like $20 each lol.... that's the best thing about the old commodores. Otherwise I can probably re-weld it depending on the cracking. I have heard this about the VR's though.

Well, whatever blows your skirt up, I know I wouldn't like to be changing exhaust manifolds on a frequent basis, no matter how cheap they are.

Simple log style manifolds made from steam pipe sections would last you forever and a day while being quite functional.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Well, the goal would be to get it running. It wouldn't be my daily and might get used for a couple hours at Kwinana and maybe a cruise during the week. The manifolds can come later on, and for the $500-1000 I save with them I can concentrate time on other things to get it initially up and running.

I sourced a T3 from a R33 with 70,000km's and in excellent condition for $250 with everything... I have a full workshop to use at my work also so I can do most of my own plumbing.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Right on. Perfect.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
that was a cast driver side header on the pass side, but flipped around

then a 'tube manifold' style (vn series 1) header from the pass side, flipped around onto the drivers side.

clearance to the oil filter was a bit of an issue (I hammered the oil filter down :p you might have a less agricultural solution :p)

Other than that, the turbo weighs a bit and with that thin kinda material and no bracing (mild steel pipes) the pipework will sag with heat.

but meh - it worked and it did good skids. - good luck and make sure to take heaps of pics!