Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock Exhaust Manifold turbo conversion?

cracker

Reaction score
as above, think t04 turbo, t3 would be too small

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
My VN is a series 1. I can always weld and grind the cracks if they start to appear…. But is it only the cast manifolds that tend to crack? I can always just weld on some braces for it to increase strength… I guess mainly to relieve stress from the head studs and near the turbo. I’ll have to check out oil filter clearance, noted, thanks.

This drift is inspiration… whoever’s car that is =)
YouTube - VN Turbo (RAW)

The other option would be for two turbos… GTR Skyline T28’s. There would be smaller piping used and the only problem would be intercooler piping unless I used a Ypiece with a top mount intercooler. The goal is to make the car look standard… I might paint it in a white/silver Calais scheme.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Simple log style manifolds made from steam pipe sections would last you forever and a day while being quite functional.
VN s1 manifolds, acid dip, re-weld if needed. That's my plan :)
that was a cast driver side header on the pass side, but flipped around

then a 'tube manifold' style (vn series 1) header from the pass side, flipped around onto the drivers side.

clearance to the oil filter was a bit of an issue (I hammered the oil filter down :p you might have a less agricultural solution :p)

Other than that, the turbo weighs a bit and with that thin kinda material and no bracing (mild steel pipes) the pipework will sag with heat.

but meh - it worked and it did good skids. - good luck and make sure to take heaps of pics!
Luke your setup is exactly what I'm trying to do, I'd like to replicate yours almost exactly but with an additional bracket to support the turbo. Any more info you could share on your setup would be much appreciated!!
as above, think t04 turbo, t3 would be too small
T3/T4 seems to be an option that works well on a V6.. The Garrett from the XR6Ts should be just about perfect, but even second hand they cost a fair bit.
The other option would be for two turbos… GTR Skyline T28’s. There would be smaller piping used and the only problem would be intercooler piping
The only problem would be finding room for all that damn piping in a V6 engine bay!

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Yea there is really nothing I want to do with the right hand side of that engine bay... I am thinking of now just going with a SC14 with an On/Off switch for $2k, run 10psi and then concentrate on LSD, upgraded clutch, suspension etc. I am sure I would have 'enough' fun with this setup.

The main problem is the law. I would have my ass handed to me if I had a turbo conversion with the pits in WA... with a CRS kit I could simply say I bought it as a kit and finding an engineer to approve it is surely going to be alot easier, I think... Today I changed the plugs, removed the rear bumper, did the rocker cover gaskets and painted rocker covers. Also changed the oil on my motorbike, so it's good progress...

I figure I will be about 2-3 weeks away from having her in standard, good 160,000km granny special condition ready to bolt on $2-3k worth of engine. My engine budget is $3k, however I am expecting it to stretch a little.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
$2400+$100 Delivery is a bit much... I Might just go FIT manifold single turbo. Time is pretty valuable to me.