Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Stock intake limitations

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
For what afstruct wants only real difficult part is camshaft choice & making sure it's all built with matching parts to suit his purpose...basically stroker with decent comp & mild cam limited by starr manifold which is ok as probably cares more about low-mid range torque,reliability & not about power falling off in 5k range....stally & diff gear choice will get most out of it.

Below is modern day improved version of banana manifold by Bliss...gave me a semi-chub checking it out couple years ago.

View attachment 226769

This whole thread has me re-thinking and also facing what I always really wanted.
Yes low/mid range torque makes plenty of sense for the street.
I do love the standardish look for this = it is a Maloo not just ( no disrespect ) a ute = then I would be more comfortable going to town on it mod wise.
But!!!!!
Facing facts the only part of the equation the Starr would meet is the looks.
Facts are I want built to gel and while it's not a numbers game = it also is !!
So 450 plus hp but I want it to rev , not stupidly but to 6k .
Yes I recon this would be enough to more than satisfy but just under 540 hp = so I could legit put a 395i badge on the tail gate would be = yes well !

I rang/spoke to ol mate ( opps forgotten his name ) Torque Power he does love to chat , holds no punches and is very passionate.
He did slightly put me off anything a bit over 450 hp for reliability .
Will see but really thinking now a torque power dual plane high rise.
If I could have 2 vg/vr/vs utes the Maloo would definitely stay 5l, deck some heads , a slightly bigger cam again and Starr and then other ute would be = well dreams .

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If I understand this correctly, you can go from 41mm to 47mm, if the walls are 5mm. You could only go 44 safely with 2mm wall between each runner.

There's two walls.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As I mentioned earlier there was a mob that did extrude honing of these manifolds, they had moderate gains but I dont remember anything along the lines of 500hp. So good on you for trying this mental exercise but in all honesty this has been tried by smarter people than us with much more money and they decided Making a new manifold was a better option.

Not 500hp from just playing with the manifold.

Im talking about making a 600hp capable engine but having to retain the stock intake for aesthetics and no hole in the bonnet. In this scenario the intake would be the weakest link in the chain, so I'm trying to figure out how much horse power you can get out of one.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
This whole thread has me re-thinking and also facing what I always really wanted.
Yes low/mid range torque makes plenty of sense for the street.
I do love the standardish look for this = it is a Maloo not just ( no disrespect ) a ute = then I would be more comfortable going to town on it mod wise.
But!!!!!
Facing facts the only part of the equation the Starr would meet is the looks.
Facts are I want built to gel and while it's not a numbers game = it also is !!
So 450 plus hp but I want it to rev , not stupidly but to 6k .
Yes I recon this would be enough to more than satisfy but just under 540 hp = so I could legit put a 395i badge on the tail gate would be = yes well !

I rang/spoke to ol mate ( opps forgotten his name ) Torque Power he does love to chat , holds no punches and is very passionate.
He did slightly put me off anything a bit over 450 hp for reliability .
Will see but really thinking now a torque power dual plane high rise.
If I could have 2 vg/vr/vs utes the Maloo would definitely stay 5l, deck some heads , a slightly bigger cam again and Starr and then other ute would be = well dreams .

Yea I've been thinking of just going a scoop on my VS ute with the TP high dual. I'm going alloy heads no matter what even if I have to wait and save and pull my iron heads and redo the gaskets.

But then I saw BG engines and their intakes and thought well if I'm cutting holes then I may as well make a big one :p

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Hit me up if think of selling starr manifold for decent price...wanted one ever since I was a kid lol

I've had wild n/a 355 setup & also stock to mild n/a 304...yeah they're farking cool to have but annoying when can't use 450hp n/a car like it should be driven.

come single plane with kfame spacer will get single plane under bonnet...wouldn't worry about stock engine bay look when see/hear 450-500hp n/a stroker idle

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ls1 throttle body mounted to front will help decent amount & suppose matchporting runners to heads...after that very small gains for stupid amount of hours required.

Of the dudes who chopped up banana manifold they were nuisance to weld up due to being low quality aluminium or porous/impurites.

Hit up Chubby for info or better yet Joe@Ace Performance Tuning as he built & tested several versions trying to get most out of 304 setups

Be easier to wait for lowe fab adaptors then throw on ls6 manifold...ugly as but probably work better.

Man I'll just mig the thing up, sand blast and paint it.
All the welding is out of sight.

I'm thinking though that the runners are too long any way, I measured them and they're about 390mm long.
I wish my demo of engine analyser pro didn't run out so I could test that length of runner.

Anyway this is all a thought experiment.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
@shane_3800 instead of talking about it for the next two weeks, why not just give it a go and see if you even have success porting the manifold?

I would like to but a pack of cross buffs in 80 grit and 50mm is $180 from pferd. I will need at least 36 grit which they don't make, imo.
I emailed Cross Tools about a flex hone but the no reply suggests they don't have one in the spec I require, they go to 40 grit btw.

I just can't find an abrasive that will hog out 3mm of alloy.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Hit me up if think of selling starr manifold for decent price...wanted one ever since I was a kid lol

I've had wild n/a 355 setup & also stock to mild n/a 304...yeah they're farking cool to have but annoying when can't use 450hp n/a car like it should be driven.

come single plane with kfame spacer will get single plane under bonnet...wouldn't worry about stock engine bay look when see/hear 450-500hp n/a stroker idle

No worries, yeah ol mate at torque power said dual plane high rise will fit under bonnet = not too worried as happy to fit a VK style bonnet scoop = even though can't get =actually want that look .
Yeah Starr is so cool!!!!= extra over standard but still standard look.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Afstruct, why not just add a side mount. That way you'll keep it original by just unbolting a few things and putting it back to stock. I think you will find the real value in a HSV is keeping it as original as possible, if you want to sell it one day.