Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock L77 and GT45....?

Xenogenesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
So... Long term plan (probably 24 months+) is a built cast block and big boost in the VF but I miss my boost... Can't stretch the budget for both the donk and the turbo setup at the moment, got a few other things going on at the moment financially so.. was thinking of fitting the turbo set up on the stock L77 in the mean time and run suitably low boost.

Aside from mega, counterproductive lag for such low boost would there be any other major issues I'm not thinking of? As long as I stick with cathedral port heads (e.g. LS3) the manifold should suit... just wondering if there is anything major I'm missing.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Well the L92 heads on L76/77/99/LS3 are rectangle not cathedral, thats the old LS2 and prior.
Can boost L77 with choice of proven static cam swap or tune around lag with VVT cam swap.
There is a common misconception that all turbos need as little valve overlap as possible. This still holds true with older turbochargers and to an extent with smaller fast spooling turbos, this is due to the smaller and less efficient turbine housing causing the exhaust gases to stack up against at the turbine housing, causing exhaust reversion at full and part throttle and reducing performance.
But, with newer turbochargers that are more efficient and have bigger turbine housings, it is possible to tune VVT in a similar way as you would a naturally aspirated engine.