Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock springs- compressing for lowering is good??

heloanand

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Omega
Hi,
Is it good if I just compress the stock springs? I called up some tyre shops and one of them told me that I dont need to change the springs, just compress the stock ones and its do the same job, and ride quality will be same?
My ride is a ve with 18" wheels and genuine clubsport bodykit on it.
thanks

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Surprising that a tyre shop would tell you that. Wouldn't recommended going back there.

Compressing your springs is illegal. Lowering a car will change the ride quality, it will be different not necessarily worse just depends how low you go.
Lows in the front and Super lows in the back is always a good combo. Leaves you with a good amount of suspension in the front so you don't feel every ant you run over...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Stock springs have a different rate than lowered springs. If you just compress the stock springs it will still move around the same, just lower. Lowered springs have a stiffer rate.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Stock springs have a different rate than lowered springs. If you just compress the stock springs it will still move around the same, just lower. Lowered springs have a stiffer rate.

Didn't know that :) Compressing springs is still illegal though isn't it?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, I don't think it is. Just lowering the car below the legal height is illegal. Cutting springs is both unsafe and illegal though.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I've seen a set of compressed springs which came out of a VX that looked like a banana. I'd say the idiots used an oxy while the car was still fitted with them and then let it settle.

Also, aren't springs tempered? Wouldn't heating then up and cooling them make them more likely to fail?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just don't be cheap buy new springs to suit the height your after. Compressing stock springs is almost as bad as cutting them.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
in qld heating up springs is illegal so id say the other states would be the same. you will also destroy the progresive rate of the factory spring effectively turning them into pogo sticks every time you hit a bump particularly at high speed -very dangerous- just go and by some lowered springs.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Done properly it is not dangerous at all. It's the exact same process as resetting leaf springs.

Heating and letting them drop is different to compressing them.