Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock SSV Tune / power delivery

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Hi all,
Ive recently purchased a ssv sportwagon & have a some questions about the stock power delivery.
Are the stock computer settings detuned much in the way of how much power is delivered @ certain rpms or around trans shift points?
Also do you get a run-in style of tune before you take your car back for its free 3k check-up?
Is the ecu a self learn style, which if you've been babying it around & then give it a hit it takes a few times for it to perform at its best?
Finally, do you notice much difference when using lower octane ratings (i.e ecu detects low octane & detunes to suit).

Regards
Greg

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
As far as I know, yeah it's detuned for emissions regulations etc and no you don't get a run-in style tune. 3000 is just a minor service.

As far as the ecu if you've been babying it probably best to reset it (disconnect the battery for 5 minutes) then give it a few boots.
Last question no idea but I assume so.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
thnxs for the reply, this is my first v8 & im not really sure what to expect when i put my foot down.
At times it feels like its got the 250odd kw's on tap, but then other times i feel like the car is deciding for me whats happening.
It's a bit of a learning curve for me as im used to higher ouput higher revving engines with forced induction.
Other than that its a great daily, effortless cruising & enough power to squirt into any gap in the traffic you choose. Its just when the foot is to the floor it feels held back.
Next tank ill make sure it gets filled with 98 (wife used 91 bcos the dealer said it didnt need PULP) maybe do the ecu reset & see if that helps.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
It could be the AFM? Which I assume you have if it's an auto. Alot of people get them disconnected. I'd be putting a better exhaust on there, a cold air induction and a mafless tune and get them to disconnect the AFM. Would be alot better.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
disclaimer.. ***not starting a fuel argument***

My car runs horribly on regular fuel - actually, it runs pretty nasty on anything other than BP ultimate. Doesn't like starting on shell - Mobil and Caltex Vortex 98 (or whatever it's called) are ok at a pinch. I think it's had 2 tanks of regular through it ever (no other option at the time) and I couldn't get rid of the crap quick enough.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Yeah I was wondering about the AFM but ive been keeping an eye on when it activates & it doesn't even seem to bother try & deactivate the cylinders if I've been playing around.
I'm not 2 keen on doing any exhaust system as I hate drone or loud daily drivers.
I like the way the stock system is dead quiet but when you boot it you know you've got 8 cylinders hiding under the bonnet.
Is there much point in doing a cold air induction & tune without changing the exhaust?
Does it change throttle response & alter power band much than from stock.
I want 2 keep this car as close 2 stock as possible, ive changed so much on my other cars I dont want 2 get all caught up in that again with this car.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Hey tinsnips, I did notice that when I drive after shell 98 was put in that the cold start idle was a tiny bit lumpy & idle a touch high.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
yeh you dont have to change the exhaust at all (youd just get a bit more out of it),
my mate is pulling 250rwkw with just airbox, tune & stock exhaust and it feels a hell of a lot better than standard - very increased throttle response and pulls way harder!
they do seem very held back standard...
and if youre not changing the exhaust its quite a cheap exercise - airbox & tune only should set u back around $1500-1700

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Ok cool I might give kpm a call about an airbox & tune.
I should probably wait until ive done a few more km's though she's still a baby @ 700kms.
Is there much risk with voiding warranty or getting caught out at service time?