Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock SSV Tune / power delivery

Haluigi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ssv g8 ute
I've noticed up here that shell is 98 octane whereas caltex vortex is only 95. I usually get the shell vpower and no real dramas but Bp does make it feel better

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Im with you tinny BP ultimate is the only fuel i use,
Anything else and my engine pings at low RPM load after my tune
I had to put vortex in it once never again.

mitchelljdunne

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv silver
yeh you dont have to change the exhaust at all (youd just get a bit more out of it),
my mate is pulling 250rwkw with just airbox, tune & stock exhaust and it feels a hell of a lot better than standard - very increased throttle response and pulls way harder!
they do seem very held back standard...
and if youre not changing the exhaust its quite a cheap exercise - airbox & tune only should set u back around $1500-1700

250rwkw? serious...? thats crazy just for a tune and intake. im going to get the VCM otr intake and MAFtune, see how i go with that!
also, wouldnt your mates car sounds weak, the stock exhaust sounds so weak

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I've had to run vortex (98 - not the 95) a few times and found it ok - but for me, BP Ultimate is the fuel of choice. Definitely runs the best in my car.

Also running my beast on nothing but BP Ultimate, should be making around 270/280rkw now with just zorst intake tune, drives great!

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Sorry my post about lumpy idle should've read " after shell 91 " not 98. The reason ive been using shell is that we get 8c off a litre with extra coupons from our coles myer source card.
Ive used v power in most of my cars & haven't noticed any issues, although they have all been running aftermarket ecu's with custom tunes with that fuel in the tank.
Is there much difference in results between mafless & maf tunes with stock exhaust cars? From what i can see the KPM website prices a mafless tune around $300 more than the maftune & in the details mentions about recalibrating auto shift functions for the mafless tune.
Anyways i guess i can sort out that when i call them.
Is around $1-1.5k about normal for a custom tune on these beasts? All my other cars have been tuned @ $150ph & usually take around 3-4hrs max for full from scratch tune

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
250rwkw? serious...? thats crazy just for a tune and intake. im going to get the VCM otr intake and MAFtune, see how i go with that!
also, wouldnt your mates car sounds weak, the stock exhaust sounds so weak

Yep its pretty good! He'd get another 10-15rwkw if he did the exhaust though, but he doesnt want it that loud.
Surprisingly it sounds pretty good, the airbox is Herrod and it has really opened the induction & engine noise up! Hes happy with it and I guess thats all that matters!

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Herrod hey, they do ford stuff yeah?
Is it an airbox or OTR & is there any difference in performance between the two styles?
Looking at the OTR's I'm assuming they would prob require removal of the MAF??