Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock SSV Tune / power delivery

maka5

-=U=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS M6
yeh you dont have to change the exhaust at all (youd just get a bit more out of it),
my mate is pulling 250rwkw with just airbox, tune & stock exhaust and it feels a hell of a lot better than standard - very increased throttle response and pulls way harder!
they do seem very held back standard...
and if youre not changing the exhaust its quite a cheap exercise - airbox & tune only should set u back around $1500-1700

LOL 250rwkw with airbox and tune... someone is pissing in your mates pocket...

As for fuel BP Ultimate is the go...everything else is just a waste of money...

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
LOL 250rwkw with airbox and tune... someone is pissing in your mates pocket...

dyno'd 330rwhp at powerplay last month... simple maths makes that 250rwkw
your putting the exhaust up on a pedestal mate, yeah it helps, but the biggest gain to be made on these engines comes with the right tune & air intake setup
theres a thread around here somewhere with a supercharger only VE making big numbers with a stock exhaust...

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Theres a video in another thread on here where they test diffferent exhausts on a hsv and the after market exhaust on made less then 20kw difference to the standard power
so 250rwkw is possible with a stock exhaust.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
do you notice much difference when using lower octane ratings (i.e ecu detects low octane & detunes to suit).

in short yes although the ecu does not detect the octane level of the fuel as such.
what the ecu does do is detect a signal from the knock sensor witch is simply a pezio sensor in the head that detects the shockwave caused by premature detination or pinging. the ecu then adjust the timming as required to suit the fuel. although it does have limited parameters it will happily run on 91 all day simply putting in a tank full of 98 will make no differance untill the engine is call upon to produce max power and no longer sense knocking it will slowly adjust back to allow for the higher octane but as soon as you put 91 back in it it will detect knock and adjust back.

maka5

-=U=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS M6
dyno'd 330rwhp at powerplay last month... simple maths makes that 250rwkw
your putting the exhaust up on a pedestal mate, yeah it helps, but the biggest gain to be made on these engines comes with the right tune & air intake setup
theres a thread around here somewhere with a supercharger only VE making big numbers with a stock exhaust...

Yeh i understand the maths mate. and im not saying the stock exhaust is sh!t. I'm saying 250rwkw? Give me a brake man. It's a HAPPY dyno.
Has your mate taken it down the strip yet?

BlueSteele

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV Sportswagon
Hi all,
Ive recently purchased a ssv sportwagon & have a some questions about the stock power delivery.
Are the stock computer settings detuned much in the way of how much power is delivered @ certain rpms or around trans shift points?
Also do you get a run-in style of tune before you take your car back for its free 3k check-up?
Is the ecu a self learn style, which if you've been babying it around & then give it a hit it takes a few times for it to perform at its best?
Finally, do you notice much difference when using lower octane ratings (i.e ecu detects low octane & detunes to suit).

Regards
Greg

I had exact same issues in same car as yours. Got an intake and tune done. They disabled the AFM and is tuned for 98 fuel now. just under 250rwkw. the punch is there instantly now, and no more of that feeling like the car is searching for gears. paid $1700, doesnt effect warranty. Done at Dale Patterson Motorsport in Tullamarine (if your in melb). HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Booz3wAgon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute
hey all..
new to this site,, even though ive owned a vy before this car,, just never thought enough about it to ask anyone about doing anything to it. just got myself an 08 ssv.

what sort of dollars am i looking at to get to the 300 club??

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
hey all..
new to this site,, even though ive owned a vy before this car,, just never thought enough about it to ask anyone about doing anything to it. just got myself an 08 ssv.

It depends on how you want to get there If you want to go with a cam pakage or the forced indution route
but for just a rough price you would be looking at around the $10,000 for everything prob i little less for a basic cam package

bzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEIIR/UTE
hey all..

Do you want it at the rear wheels or just the flywheel/bragging rites?