Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock SSV Tune / power delivery

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Thanks for the honest response mate, i was mainly looking at KPM because they guarantee no drone. But from what ive just read on there website, they no longer guarantee this with the wagons anymore because some have & some havent.
Drone will be a bigger issue for me than yourself because you have a ute, but i may have try & find someone with your setup on a wagon.

I have a 2.5" lukey cat back in stainless, it was $1600 fitted (pacemaker mufflers in this system sound great with no drone at all.

I can get pacemaker extractors for $620 off bestmufflers.com and 200 cel pacy cats for $210 ea so that's approx $3000 for full system fitted)..

I have the cat back on and will be getting the rest soon..

No way I'd be paying a extra $1500 for KPM which is only marginally better.. But that's my opinion (not starting a argument)

Brad

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
You know if you don't want to spend so much, you can just replace the extractor and cats, and that'll still give some power increase. Your tune might need to be adjusted. It also won't make any drone because you'll keep the stock mufflers which are really effective obviously. I've just read this, it's not personal experience (yet).

I read that basically its impossible to have a full exhaust system (including catback) and have AFM on; you must disable it. If you have it off, then you can get exhausts with no drone fairly easily.

I'm getting my wagon CAI and tune done on Friday, but not dyno'd so I won't have that figure. I'm currently deciding whether to get my extractors done too, or not.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Why would you disable torque management on the auto? I looked into this but most people told me not to as it will put to much stress on the autobox ... Basically give it a couple of months before issues start coming up .

when it changes, it doesn't thump into gear. It changes just like it always has, just now, it doesn't lag between changes like it used to. This bloke has been tuning for 18 years, and he has done a lot of VE's as well. I trust him. He is also doing a street friendly gearbox computer mod as well... the one he has is very harsh and although it works great on the track, it's not very good on the road. Once he has completed it, i'm going back down to have it done.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Just got my car tuned at Enhanced Automotive with my KPM OTR fitted.
Went from 189rwkw to 210rwkw, which seems a little down from what other have gotten. But i havent driven the car yet, just gotta wait till the misses gets home in it.

Confirm this was just OTR and Mafless tune? You got a 30rwkw increase, thats not bad.

Ok, being left a little underwhelmed by my otr & tune results, I'm thinking about exhaust mods now.
Having an auto wagon I'm looking at the kpm 2.5 system, but are struggling with the 4.5k fitted price.
Are there any better value for money header & cats that will bolt up 2 the kpm cat back?
My father inlaw is a mechanic with a hoist, so I'd like 2 install ourselves if it wouldn't b 2 hard.

If you get the exhaust, tune and OTR done you shound get between 250-270rwkw. There are many too many variables, including how happy the dyno is. Brads dyno is pretty good though. I got Pacemaker 1 3/4" 4>1 exhaust, OTR, tune, cam, diff and had the heads ported. End result? 315rwkw. And I'm not at all worried that others get 330+ on other dynos, its just a number. Because the chances are, my car really only does 315rwkw, and if you are going to compare number ie mine is bigger than yours - it needs to be done on the same day, same dyno.

And get Pacies like i listed above, had them twice, they are awesome.

COOKEDSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve ss
i got my ve ss tuned by wa performance.. vcm otr and tune stock exhaust and made 324 rwhp and ran a 12.91 sec pass at 173kph really impressed with it

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have a full xforce system including extractors 2.5" with 100cell stainless cats. no drone at all at any speed. did a 160k round trip. the car is pretty quite at idle and when your driving it below 3000rpm it doesn't give you an earful but when you put your foot down it really does give it that amazing v8 sound. there is no back off noise, no popping and crackling when you come down gears (i.e 2nd from 80 to 40km/h engine breaking) like you hear with other systems. I have compared this with the 3" system which drones pretty bad. the vcm system sounds like poo (there is a ute here with it) and the defillipo system gives you horrible back off noise. I have also heard good things about the pacemakers but can only comment on them in the ford world of things and again compared to defillipo for fords they sound 100 times better.

when it comes to installing extractors on ve's you have to undo the power stearing rack to change them so you need some kind of mechanical knowledge and be prepared to spend 2-5 hours doing it.

hope that helps

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
worked out to around 21rwkw from OTR & tune.
Brad did say i should get 250rwkw ish if i did the full exhaust.
I can feel the difference from 3k to redline, definitely feels like 10% more power now its tuned.
I was a little surprised with the output figure as most claim around 230rwkw with my mods, but then again most say they pull 210 stock & i got 190. Maybe its just different dyno's being happier than others.
Im still a little uncertain about doing the exhaust as i really dont want this car to be very loud. Brad suggested changing to a 3.7 diff if i want more go & still look & sound stock

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
where are you located mate? I can do a video of mine inside the car if you want to have a listen. ill use the radio volume as a comparison to how loud the exhaust is haha

i made 254rwkw with the same mods.. full exhaust otr and tune. but my tuner said is hould make 265-270 and the fuel i'm using is **** so it's going back to get retuned after ive put bpultimate98 through it a few times

bradando

2lts? = Milk and Juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Manual
I second that comment - Mine runs like a bag of **** with standard 91..

disclaimer.. ***not starting a fuel argument***

My car runs horribly on regular fuel - actually, it runs pretty nasty on anything other than BP ultimate. Doesn't like starting on shell - Mobil and Caltex Vortex 98 (or whatever it's called) are ok at a pinch. I think it's had 2 tanks of regular through it ever (no other option at the time) and I couldn't get rid of the crap quick enough.

lowsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 05 sv6
Hey guys ive got a Vz sv6 and lookin to get an exhaust, I'm either goin the 2.25 or 2.5inch catback, any thoughts on what will give it some noise also power?