Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stock tyres for the ve series 1

mooman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
hi this might be a stupid question I have a series 1 ve with stock tyres they are 225/60r16. I have realy 2 questions why are they so expensive to buy as to other sizes and
can I put 225/55r16 on the car with my 225/60r16. as they are allot cheaper than the the ones that are on the car. because the 225/60r16 are $120each and the 225/55r16 are $85.
will this affect my speedo or anything else.

thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It will affect speedo cos they are smaller. $85 tyres will probably be rubbish so i wouldnt bother going there!

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
hi this might be a stupid question I have a series 1 ve with stock tyres they are 225/60r16. I have realy 2 questions why are they so expensive to buy as to other sizes and
can I put 225/55r16 on the car with my 225/60r16. as they are allot cheaper than the the ones that are on the car. because the 225/60r16 are $120each and the 225/55r16 are $85.
will this affect my speedo or anything else.

thanks

The 55 profile tyre has a significantly smaller diameter:

225 60 16 tyre 676 mm (26.6'') diameter
225 55 16 tyre 654 mm (25.7'') diameter

22 mm (3.3%) shorter.

The 55 profile tyre will also usually have a lower load rating unless you buy a extra load (XL) version of the same tyre.

Your speedo will over state your true speed with the 55 profile tyre fitted by 3.3 % approx because it has been calibrated with the larger stock size tyre.

Also you can expect that your fuel consumption will increase by a small amount for driving the same distance as you will have effectively lowered the gearing due to a smaller diameter tyre being fitted.

You should not compromise on tyres. Always buy the best tyre you can afford as it is only those 4 little patches of rubber that keeps your car stuck to the road instead of sliding off at the next wet corner.

I would much rather fit a 235 55 16 tyre (664 mm diameter) on the car if you were going to 55 profile as this will give you a tyre much closer in diameter to the 225 60 tyre you have now. ( However I believe you will find it difficult to find much choice of tyres in that size as it is not a common size sold here and I expect they are likely to be more expensive than the stock standard tyres.).

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Sell the car, putting 55 profile tyres on your car in that rim size will void your insurance. These are the only things keeping your car on the road, why skimp out on one of the most vital parts to your safety.

mooman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
the reason I asked the question is that holdens make thousands of these cars. and the price of standard tyres is stupid its cheaper to get 18,s or 17.s. so it looks like ill have to get the 225/60r16,s that's not aproblem thought I would ask the question.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
regarding price: I don't think that you've done much research.
If you get prices on Bridgestone tyres, which are what the VE has when it leaves the factory, you'll find that 16" are about $240 RRP; and 18" are $480 RRP.
Of course, both are cheaper if you shop around &/or look on-line.

If you look at cheaper brands, yes: 16" are less than $100, and 18" are $120 - but they are the crap brands (y'know - the ones that K.RUDD gave J.GILLARD a set of for Xmas).

Why so expensive ? If you look at all the sizes made by one manufacturer, you'll see that prices increase with rim-size. It was once explained to me that the reduced profile requires more expensive manufacturing - although I remain to be convinced. Another factor is that 14" & 15" tyres are manufactured in vast quantities, and benefits of scale kick in. 16" are less popular, for the time being, although that is likely to change.

My suggestion is - get the correct size, and get a good brand. That's not the least expensive option, but it is the safest.

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
There one of the most vital components in your car, why cheap out on them?

$80 tyres are the kind of tyres you would take to PCM, not to drive daily on, lol

Kinng

T-Bone75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline, VC resto
I agree, I recently put a crappy set of wheels/tyres on my car temporarily while I painted my good ones. They were fairly new but lower quality tyres ($175ea) and I was shocked, the car handled like rubbish. It really hit home to me, how much of a car's handling is about good tyres. I'd say 80-90%.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
PLEASE...........if you do decide to put cheap tyres onto your car, let us know so that we can stay well clear of you - at all times.