Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock VL diff to LSD conversion

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Hey guys, my mate and I were discussing my baby at a mates party on the weekend, and he suggested that I look into doing an LSD conversion on the VL. At the moment it has the stock diff & only spins 1 wheel etc, but what I'm wondering is what's the benefit, if any, of running an LSD? I do like to give her a bit of a boot, and try to have some fun at lights etc, but the one thing I definitely don't want is a fully locked diff which chirps when I turn corners, cos, you know, I still want to be able to do a U-Turn. I do a fair bit of freeway driving but also alot of suburb/town driving/start & stop.

I am slowly developing a list of things I want to get done etc, but like all lists it will spiral out of control, & my mate (who just serviced my car at his shop) reckons I should go LSD too. What are the costs involved? Do I have to source a full VL turbo diff or can I get, say, 28 spline internals and have someone throw it all in? What would I have to change?

Cheers guys, I don't know much about diffs except they make your wheels spin haha.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
u can use the housing and run a 28 spline lsd centre etc...(axles as well) as the stocko 6 is 25 spline.

or source a vl turbo full rear
disks included.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
possibly.. depends on how u go. u could find a bargain. i seen a few go on ebay.

28 spline axles on ebay r $800 so fk that unless u get some from a wreck

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
well its a vn diff man soo they r 30 mm wider on both sides so tyre size is limited. but some have done it and love it and have fitted some good tyres on.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
any lsd centre from vn up to vt series 2 (when LS1 came out) will fit your vl housing. but they are all 28 spline. find a centre in good nick and get some 28 spline axles.

vl 6 n/a centres were 25 spline but turbo and V8 were 28 spline so some turbo/V8 axles will be needed if u get the bits seperately

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
any lsd centre from vn up to vt series 2 (when LS1 came out) will fit your vl housing. but they are all 28 spline. find a centre in good nick and get some 28 spline axles.

vl 6 n/a centres were 25 spline but turbo and V8 were 28 spline so some turbo/V8 axles will be needed if u get the bits seperately

Do you know if the axles are expensive at all? So basically, I can get the internals from VN to VT, but as for the axles, they have to be from either a vlt or v8, or I can get the whole setup if I can find it.

Also, are VL NA 6 diffs Borgwarner? If so, can I just find another borgwarner diff from [insert car here] and use the internals if they are 28 spline?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
dunno. yes and yes.

vl n/a 6 is the same borg warner diff just with a different spline count and a 2 pinion centre whereas V8/turbo was 4 pinion