Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock vt commo

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
how much boost could a stock ecotec v6 take before it would need a tune and more fuel ect, anyone know or maybe have some experience with this sort of thing?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
2/5th's of fook all.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Will all be relative to the setup and supporting mods you run. A GT35 at 10psi will put out far more air than a T28 at 10psi, boost is relative to the setup and not a fixed parameter in the sense that you're asking.

Are you basing this build off any other projects you've seen?

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Nah not exactly ive got i t3t4 turbo from ebay so a cheapy but where i am i cant get the car tuned and stuff locally i have to drive an hour to get it tuned so i wasnt sure if i could drive the car down with it setup or if i would have to set it up when i get there? Ive got plans for bigger injectors and fuel pump but would i put them in before i drive down or wait till i get there so the car can be tuned to run the right ratios

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Nah not exactly ive got i t3t4 turbo from ebay so a cheapy but where i am i cant get the car tuned and stuff locally i have to drive an hour to get it tuned so i wasnt sure if i could drive the car down with it setup or if i would have to set it up when i get there? Ive got plans for bigger injectors and fuel pump but would i put them in before i drive down or wait till i get there so the car can be tuned to run the right ratios
sounds like you might be best puttin it on a trailer to the tuners rather than dive into the ocean and hope you dont get eaten buy a shark..

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Yeah it may be what ill do but was kinda hopin to drive it there haha but yeah ill have to sort something like that out

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

It will be far easier to install your stuff beforehand and trailer it there rather than putting stuff in on the side of the road or paying them to do it. If you're taking it to a shop they will be far more favourable to you if you don't waste time doing last minute things (remember that dyno down time waiting for you is lost money to them). The chance for something to break on a new setup like this is also much higher, so you don't want to be stranded roadside if something gives up the ghost on the drive there.

Injectors need to be tuned for, fuel pump not so much but you may find that you run out of fuel while it's on the dyno which hinders its ability to be tuned properly/to potential. If you're driving it untuned on the original injectors it will likely lean out which is less than ideal.

Also worth checking if this shop can do the old Delco ECUs if you're using the stock ECU, tuners that do them seem to be drying up.

KalebM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 3.8 commodore
Yeah ill use a trailer then and the place im going ive called and asked about ecu tunninng and they said that my stock can be tuned for arround 20psi of boost which i dont plan on going anywhere near, so id say that means they can tune it if thays what you mean
It will be far easier to install your stuff beforehand and trailer it there rather than putting stuff in on the side of the road or paying them to do it. If you're taking it to a shop they will be far more favourable to you if you don't waste time doing last minute things (remember that dyno down time waiting for you is lost money to them). The chance for something to break on a new setup like this is also much higher, so you don't want to be stranded roadside if something gives up the ghost on the drive there.

Injectors need to be tuned for, fuel pump not so much but you may find that you run out of fuel while it's on the dyno which hinders its ability to be tuned properly/to potential. If you're driving it untuned on the original injectors it will likely lean out which is less than ideal.

Also worth checking if this shop can do the old Delco ECUs if you're using the stock ECU, tuners that do them seem to be drying up.