Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock vx v6 mods that won't go "bang!"

Spiderlegs.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina S2 wagon
Hey guys!!
I own an 01 berlina 3.8L v6, and I am wanting more power at the rear.
She's a stock as stock comes with 290k on the clock. Perfectly sound, drives better than any car I've owned previously, but as a typical man, I want more lol
Been looking into high ratio roller rockers (with new valve springs), 69mm throttle body, plenum spacer, extractors, exhaust system, so far. Speaking to a mate (who's a mechanic), he said it'd probably go bang anyway and it'd be a waste.
So what can I do to get more out of a stock motor, without having to spend thousands on a rebuild or something.
Cheers guys!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
People are getting 500k out of an Eco. HRRR's are good, as is extractors and Mace CAI. All you mentioned above will help. If the engine eventually blows it's easy enough to swap it over to another Eco and if it's a keeper then it's no worries.

Spiderlegs.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina S2 wagon
People are getting 500k out of an Eco. HRRR's are good, as is extractors and Mace CAI. All you mentioned above will help. If the engine eventually blows it's easy enough to swap it over to another Eco and if it's a keeper then it's no worries.
Cheers mate!
So with what I mentioned on doing to it, it should be ok

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes it's not as if you're adding boost to an old tired engine. Your mods are fairly tame. New valve springs, like you mentioned are probably a good idea.

Spiderlegs.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina S2 wagon
Sweet as, I will also get a re calibrated pcm. Will I need to do anything to the gearbox? Anything pretty cheap?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Give your transmission a service if it hasn’t been done recently

SamVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Give your transmission a service if it hasn’t been done recently

Could also get the box shift kitted. If you don’t mind firm shifts it will definitely make a difference.

I plan to do the shift kit, the high ratio rockers, a manta exhaust and get the mace tune to suit. I’ve had my VX Acclaim for 5 years and I want/need/have no choice but to keep it another 10 (wanted a HSV but we got her a brand new Tucson instead)With 260k on it already, aiming to see 450+ before it gets retired.