Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock VY speakers

markwid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Wagon
Hey guys,

What are peoples opinions of the stock speakers in the VY/VZ range.

Im just debating upgrading them and im sitting on the fence weather to do them on not.

Cheers!:p

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
The stock speakers are only 15watt jobbies which are quite piss poor for the stock headunit

markwid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Wagon
15W doesnt cut the cheese!

Thanks for the info, 15W .... straight to the rubbish bin.

I have read in afew posts that Jaycar have decent speakers (~$100), will the head unit drive these ok?

Cheers

Mark

E

Erik-the-Red

i upgraded my head unit alone, and since scrapped my ideas of upgrading my speakers. put more wattage throught them and they're fine.

The Macross

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
Sound pretty good to me when i upgraded my unit to a pioneer, although on some heavey tunes i can notice them struggling

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
From memory, I think the stock speakers are only 5 watts. And they are paper cone made-in-Korea rubbish.

Changing your speakers is a good start. It depends what you're after and what you're happy with. Replace the speakers and see how it goes.

If you still want better quality or more volume, I'd look at powering the speakers through an amp(s). You DON'T need to replace the stock headunit, even though it doesn't have RCA outputs. You can get Phreddy to do an RCA conversion to your factory head unit. This allows you to keep the intergration with your dash and steering wheel controls etc. Do a search or send Phreddy a PM. From memory, the thread you're looking for is titled: "Blaupunkt low-level outputs? You betcha!"

markwid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Wagon
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I will/have contacted Phreddy and Im looking at some Jaycar speakers for the Wagon. Speakers + IPOD AUX in = me happys:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Cheers

Mark

Wagone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Equipe Wagon
in the old mans wagon i must say the stock speakers are pretty good with a cd in play good bass and you can cracnk it right up and it nice and punchy, with concerns to an upgrade, wat size can you fit in the fronts and how powerfull can you go

cheers James

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Speaker Upgrade

Davey G-Force is on the money!
Soon after I bought my New VY II Berlina I replaced the front speakers with high level Pioneers, disconnected the rear door speakers and put high level 6 X 9's in the back shelf with good size speaker cable.
At a later date I carried out Phreddys output mods into a Big Blaupunkt rear mounted amplifier. Dont try and get decent sound by amplifying without using the RCA low level conversion.
Now you can hear how good the original H/U is and how versatile it is. And all you can see is the MP3 player plugged in.
Although I have one I have not installed a Sub. because I believe the 6 x 9's do well enough - properly installed that is.
As said in one of the previous threads though, if you cant hear the difference from the original speakers why worry.
BUT if you cant, then you need some wax removed from your ears.
Thats when you need a good system.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Wagone said:
in the old mans wagon i must say the stock speakers are pretty good with a cd in play good bass and you can cracnk it right up and it nice and punchy, with concerns to an upgrade, wat size can you fit in the fronts and how powerfull can you go

cheers James

The stock speakers are 6". You can fit 6.5" speakers in there with a little cutting and filing. That's what I did - Jaycar 6.5" coaxials in the back and Jaycar 6.5" splits in the front.

With regards to how powerful - the sky's the limit really - provided you've got the amp to run them. Without an amp, I'd say you wouldn't want/need to go more than about 50 watts.