Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stolen ID tags, can't find VIN

bluewagon88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL exec wagon
i recently purchased a blue vl wagon from a mate. he was the third owner from new ( his dad was second). the car was stolen a few years back from him and recovered a month later with the ID plates removed. i want to get some information about its history but can't find the 14 digit VIN. so if anyone has any info as to what the car was modelled from ( i've found one photo that looks like it, a 5.0 litre calais wagon). mine's just an executive that is base model to the 5.0 litre, but i'm gonna build it up to calais spec. any info or links to info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• vl_shots2 002.jpg
    vl_shots2 002.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 876

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
i recently purchased a blue vl wagon from a mate. he was the third owner from new ( his dad was second). the car was stolen a few years back from him and recovered a month later with the ID plates removed. i want to get some information about its history but can't find the 14 digit VIN. so if anyone has any info as to what the car was modelled from ( i've found one photo that looks like it, a 5.0 litre calais wagon). mine's just an executive that is base model to the 5.0 litre, but i'm gonna build it up to calais spec. any info or links to info would be appreciated.

VIN vehicle identification number, a unique alphanumeric combination of 17 characters assigned to a vehicle. It does NOT contain the letters I , O or Q.

Vin number attached to motor vehicles manufactured on or after the 1st January 1989..:thumbsup:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
how are you going to register the car with no compliance plate?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Part of the body number is under the headlight on some models.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
you still need a compliance plate

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I'm surpirsed no plates where replaced or re-made when it did get stolen, or something similar to say the car is in your hands, even a revs certificate! your going to have allot of trouble getting it registerd again without them & if those plates r still out there u don't want issue falling back to you.

Commdores are one of the highest cars stolen in this country and you have one, my best bet would be to get another car similar and do some swaps with parts etc..

Goodluck.

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
^^^What he said!^^^
Good luck with it all.

bluewagon88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL exec wagon
the car was stolen 2 years ago, reported stolen to the police, the police found the car with all the matching numbers and returned it to my mate. due to his diligence he has an extensive collection of past registration forms after the theft, so there is no issue with the rego or police departments i've got the registration certificates, the engine numbers and the chassis numbers match the registration papers, it's registered just got a cracked head and i may as well clean up a few rust spots while i'm waiting for the time to do the head. all i wanna know is does anyone know where i can get pictures of the calais wagon that this was styled on. and what the code for the paint was. coz i'm pretty sure it is the good old metallic paint that fades rather quickly. its an 87 model.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
my parts Vl in the backyard had all plates removed, the number gound off the suspension tower and I expect, the engine no ground off the block
someone said it may have been used to rebirth another stolen VL
and then dumped
all VL metallic paints fade badly, there werent many calais VL wagons