Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Storing car

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
So the best idea for such a short time would be to just connect the battery to a charger after 3 weeks?
just park it and walk away and in 3 weeks time start it up and go for a 20~30 minute drive.
if the battery totally discharges in 3 weeks get the battery checked out, I would replace it if that happened to me.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When we went on hols for all of June, I was slightly concerned there might be an issue; but when we got back it fired-up first time, no hesitation on startup at all.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I have a customer with a bunch of cars who takes 3-4 week breaks away at a time, all he does is put them in the shed, lock them and leave. No problems. Even his Charger that only gets driven a few times a year is fine.

Edit: But yes if you have it, a trickle charger is great, also helps keep the battery in better condition if you get a good charger.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have read that its a good idea every few months to wack the battery on a charger whether it gets driven or not. Even an alt putting out 14.4v won't fully charge a battery. It will only 85% to 90% charge it. My old auto electrician used to say the same thing.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I have read that its a good idea every few months to wack the battery on a charger whether it gets driven or not.

I agree. I've got a c-tek on mine at all times. It also has a 'recondition' mode, which they recommend to use on any battery every 6-12 months from memory.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I use the Ctek MXS 5.0 religiously if my Commodore is parked for more than 24 hours. Set and forget, and currently at a good price too from Frankie’s:

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/ctek-mxs5-0-12-volt-5a-battery-charger/

What makes this easy to use is that the Commodore has the positive and negative terminals under the bonnet even though the battery is in the boot. Once you connect the Ctek it is just long enough to reach the ground. Make sure you shut the bonnet though (left mine up and after several hours the alarm went off. :oops:).

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I use the Ctek MXS 5.0 religiously if my Commodore is parked for more than 24 hours.

Me too, have the same model. It's fantastic.

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
I use the Ctek MXS 5.0 religiously if my Commodore is parked for more than 24 hours. Set and forget, and currently at a good price too from Frankie’s:

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/ctek-mxs5-0-12-volt-5a-battery-charger/

What makes this easy to use is that the Commodore has the positive and negative terminals under the bonnet even though the battery is in the boot. Once you connect the Ctek it is just long enough to reach the ground. Make sure you shut the bonnet though (left mine up and after several hours the alarm went off. :oops:).

Just purchased a CTEC based on your recommendation. Sounds perfect for my son who has a HSV in storage and has battery drain issues. Thanks