Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Straight gas back to fuel injected (5L)

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
i was thinking about buying a 5l vq stato but its is on straight gas. Now i know gas is cheaper to run and all but i believe that u lose alot of power running it on straight gas. So i wanted to know how much trouble it would be from changing it back to ONLY fuel injected, i dont know wat has been removed but all i know that it is running only on gas

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
shouldn't be too hard it all depends on what has been removed and what not, do you even know if it has a petrol tank still? i'd start from the petrol tank and move forwards. i.e petrol lines still there? injectors still there? etc etc. if its all still there I can't see why it would be much of a problem to get it to go again, probably need a new tunes i.e greenfoam is the bestest

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You would be much better off changing it to a "better" gas system than whats on it, the power difference wont be much if anything

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Gas is hardly any different to premium tuning wise. But I mean if it's running just a gas ring, get a proper gas carby on it

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
If you upgrade to gas injection, you'll be laughing :p

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Gas injection is the way to go mate, much better than petrol. Slightly more power to be made with that setup too

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
It would be expensive to go convert straight from petrol to gas injection, but if you already have a gas system installed I would think the price to switch over to injection would be quite a bit less.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i'm not 100% sure but i don't think having gas is going to be in your favour if you want injection. i was under the impression that the tanks they use are different. so they have to rip out your old tank, put a new one it. maybe the gas lines are about the only thing that will actually be the same, but chances are they are different too.

tbh i'd stick with the straight gas. the engine will run smoother on it than petrol anyway, and you might gain a few kw (i'm talking 5 max, my vn v6 had ~4kw difference between petrol and gas and that was a crappy duel fuel setup) by taking it out, but it's not like switching back to petrol is going to suddenly make the car a massive beast...

btw, if you do go injection, you want LIQUID gas injection (not vapour). vapour = same power as petrol. liquid = more power than petrol. BUT liquid systems run sequential injection, while the VQ runs groupfire, so modification is required (unsure of the specifics). i talked good and hard to a gas installer about this once, he recommended the carby setups for a 5l. as the carby setups do quite well, especially when you start talking twin carbys/converters if you need good power. you probably wouldn't need to modify the tank, but then again you might need twin tanks depending on how much power you're looking for...

g007.jpg