Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Straight Gas

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi all,

Just got a couple questions regarding straight gas.
I currently have dual fuel on my VS Commodore. I used the government rebate to get it done a year ago or so. I kind of hate the dual fuel idea cause of the tank in the boot which leaves no boot space. I got dual fuel done because I was sure I was going to get a new car by now ...but I'm currently looking into getting a house sooo a new car is not really in the equation at the moment. So I was thinking of getting straight gas to get the tank out the boot and not have the hassle of driving on petrol every so often (just had a major drama because I didnt drive it enough on petrol (like never), and my fuel pump died and my injectors clogged)

Please don't comment on petrol is better than gas etc etc because of power reasons... I don't care about power. and I feel no difference really anyway.

Anyone with a VS have straight gas?

How much does it cost to get straight gas done anyway? Cus I used the government rebate, I don't think they will allow me to use it again to swap from dual to straight :cry: Also because I already got the tank and stuff, would they be able to take it back etc and I pay less for the extra work? or is the tank and stuff after use, not worthy for second hand?

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
Now the problem will be: Where will you fit that cylindric gas tank.. You know that the petrol tank fits in a cubic space.. I don't think you can just remove that one and fit the LPG tank insted.

Just guessing but it might be the problem. Ring your gas engineer, he will definately know.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
To run straight gas you are more than likely going to have to run a proper system. By the soundsof it your just running the old mixer setup. This somtimes works ok on old carby cars, they will start and run fine on straight gas. But your ecotec wont do this im sure. You'll need to get gas injectors a gas tune for the ecu, not sure what else not being an expert, but you have the tank, so thats a start.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
well... I just spoke to the guy that did my dual fuel. He has never done a straight gas on a commodore before. He did mention about the gas tank being round .. and the petrol being flat, said might have to get 2 small tanks or something (isn't there like specific gas tanks just for this kind of thing? why are they all round??). He did say it's not a easy process ... will cost about $4000, because I'm not entitled to the gov rebate, because its on the same car and for the federal you need to wait atleast 3 years (which I havent). He said you have to config the ecu and take all the injectors out etc. He said most ppl on do straight gas when they build their engine from scratch...

Maybe it's out of the question for me then :( bit of a shame.. guess Ill just have to save for my skyline (dont hate) or get a loan ... but ill struggle to pay my house/bills etc already ... a loan would be too much :(. Unless, I just take out the whole gas system and just run fuel ... since fuel prices dropped.. Gas is like 61cents while petrol is like $1.07 sometimes.

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
Prices dropped only a tad. And they WILL climb up again trust me on that.

I had dual fuel on "Dark Throne" my black HX panelvan.. the one that got crushed in a cube. The LPG tank was under the car, at the rear. Your gas man probably fitted the thing in the boot to save some time working. Have a good look under the body, there might be some room to fit it, if you feel lucky.

daveman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I had the same type of setup on my vr. It never ran quite right on petrol after the conversion so after about a year or so I took it back to the mechanic that did it and had it changed to straight gas. He said that it was a simple job and didn't charge me to do it. He only changed a few wires around on the mixer. 10 minutes tops.

Dave

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Executive Commodore
I had the same type of setup on my vr. It never ran quite right on petrol after the conversion so after about a year or so I took it back to the mechanic that did it and had it changed to straight gas. He said that it was a simple job and didn't charge me to do it. He only changed a few wires around on the mixer. 10 minutes tops.

Dave

Are you sure mate???

I don't think turning a car into a straight gas runner is that simple..... :whistling