Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Straight through pipe

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
My point wanting to know if it's a V8 or V6 was because OP is considering a louder exhaust, after trialing the straight pipe. V6 with loud exhaust I can't see it sounding any good. V8 on the other hand.
Although if a V6 can be made to sound ok, id be interested in knowing how.
Hey mate, I wasn't opposing your comment, as we commented at the same time so hadn't seen it yet.

Note: I tried starting my 355" with headers and header extensions once. Sounded rubbish so turned it off again. Although merged through single hooker aero chamber muffler and dumped at the diff it sounds AMAZING!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My 4 cyl ute needed more powas so I cut the exhaust off and welded up a 2 inch straight system with a 28 inch hot dog. Well the sound was horrid so I did some reasearch and found a flowmaster hushpower 2 or the HP2. It's the closest thing I could find to a straight through and it calmed the noise right down. I still have the hotdog on there so I don't know if the HP2 would have drone on its own or not.

The HP2 cost me $200 then I welded it in so If you don't have a welder and the sills this post wont be much help.

Mr Henry

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 hilux v6 ecotech
I have a v6 in my offroad compition ute, i used to run straight throughs but it was really harsh. Make your ears bleed harsh. So i put a 9 i ch hotdog on each side, it's the sweetest sounding v6 i have ever herd.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Nothing on a v6 sounds good, sports system ok but the drone sometimes is bloody annoying.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Nothing on a v6 sounds good, sports system ok but the drone sometimes is bloody annoying.
I was reading a honda forum about exhausts and most honda guys in the US seem to get rid of drone by using two resonators. Apprantely 36 inch is the minimum most guys were running 40 inch of res.

Food fo thought.