Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange auto transmission problem - VT

Indy_387

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hoping you could bounce a few ideas around about how to fix the problem I am having with my auto transmission in my VT Commodore.

Basically, the problem started a few months ago & has become alot worse. After half hour or so of driving sometimes (not all the time) the cars engine warning light will come on and the car will drop into third gear (from fourth) sometimes dropping into second (regardless of speed). The car will kickdown normally, but when I will take off next the car with rev very high and then roughly 'jerk' into the next gear, up to third gear only.

Heres the strange thing. If I turn the car off & on, the light will go out & the problem will go away for another half hour or so.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Every time the light comes on, a fault code is registered. If you read the fault codes it will probably tell you what the problem is. You can read the fault codes by buying a workshop manual which explains the procedure or do a bit of a search here and you should find the info.

Indy_387

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but the problem rapidly got worse...

Driving over to Melbourne the car did a similar thing, and when going up a steep hill, with my foot flat to the ground, I was *just* holding a speed of 110km/h.

I have checked the error codes & I have a code 19.

My book tells me this is the throttle position sensor (stuck open).

I discussed the problem with my local mechanic & they suggested replacing the transmission with a VY unit for $850.

Just looking for some feedback... as always, thanks in advance!

Cheers.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would be looking into the problem with the throttle position sensor before replacing the transmission. The TPS may well be causing your problems.

Indy_387

Reaction score
I would be looking into the problem with the throttle position sensor before replacing the transmission. The TPS may well be causing your problems.

Thanks mate. Just wondering what exactly I should be looking for?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
You could reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about a minute and this will clear the codes. Next time the engine light comes on check the codes again and if you get code 19 again I would replace the TPS. I don't think they are overly expensive.
If you do reset the ECU you will need the PIN for your radio if it is the stock one.

Indy_387

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I pulled the TPS off and cleaned it out a bit & reinstalled it. I then disconnected the battery to clear the error code. However, as soon as I restarted the test it came up with error 19 again. I thought I might not have left the battery disconnected for long enough, so I left it off for 30 minutes & still had error 19. Any ideas?

Does anyone know how the TPS works? Im gathering that it uses a magnet or something?

Cheers.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,

So I pulled the TPS off and cleaned it out a bit & reinstalled it. I then disconnected the battery to clear the error code. However, as soon as I restarted the test it came up with error 19 again. I thought I might not have left the battery disconnected for long enough, so I left it off for 30 minutes & still had error 19. Any ideas?

Does anyone know how the TPS works? Im gathering that it uses a magnet or something?

Cheers.

Better off buying a new one rather than try to repair it. It is an important part that is needed for your car to run properly.