Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange Electrical Problem?

jez111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
Hi there,

I'm really hoping one of you can help me with this. I have a series 1 V6 VN commodore manual (probably not relevant). The car drives fine most of the time, but every now and then (once or twice a day) it will suddenly cut out on me - regardless of whether revs are low or high. When I try to restart it, it runs for about 5 seconds then stops again (the battery light will be on while it does this). After 30 seconds or so, if I start the car and the battery light has gone out then I know it has fixed itself (it always starts in the end). The problem can happen when the engine is hot or cold. Additionally, the battery light comes on from time to time during normal driving. This has been going on for 6 months. I know I should get a better car, but I am too stuborn damn-it.

I ran the system diagnostic test and it came back with code 12 (no fault).

what I've changed to try and solve the problem:

* Coil pack
* Alternator
* Battery
* ECU

If anyone has any information then it would be bloody awesome if you could post it here

Cheers.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Does the car fail to start just after the stalling or does it get back up straight away? If not then all I can think of is the crank angle sensor; next time it happens try pouring some cool water (not the aftershave) on it and see what happens - they're about $50 from repco

EDIT: Just found this, may help: http://www.phoenixmechanical.com.au/pages/vn_commodore_electrical.html

jez111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
Hi VS Omega, thanks for the quick reply. The car always re-starts immediately, but might only run for 5 seconds before stopping again (as mentioned above). My feeling is that it is not the CAS for the following reasons:

* The ECU test reports no fault
* The problem can sometimes occur before the engine is even warm
* After cutting out the car will only continue running once the battery light has gone out

I am probably going to change the CAS anyway just in case, but if anyone has any other suggestions then please let me know.

Ta.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
What's the condition of your engine earth like? After checking that out, I'd be inclined to inspect the alternator charge, and sensor wires that go straight to the positive battery terminal. Definitely sounds like a loose connection of some type.

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
I agree with a loose connection or bad earth, The battery light isn't ment to come on unless there is a problem.
Matt

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Hi there,

I'm really hoping one of you can help me with this. I have a series 1 V6 VN commodore manual (probably not relevant). The car drives fine most of the time, but every now and then (once or twice a day) it will suddenly cut out on me - regardless of whether revs are low or high. When I try to restart it, it runs for about 5 seconds then stops again (the battery light will be on while it does this). After 30 seconds or so, if I start the car and the battery light has gone out then I know it has fixed itself (it always starts in the end). The problem can happen when the engine is hot or cold. Additionally, the battery light comes on from time to time during normal driving. This has been going on for 6 months. I know I should get a better car, but I am too stuborn damn-it.

I ran the system diagnostic test and it came back with code 12 (no fault).

what I've changed to try and solve the problem:

* Coil pack
* Alternator
* Battery
* ECU

If anyone has any information then it would be bloody awesome if you could post it here

Cheers.

Sounds like your coil pack is on the way out :whistling

jez111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
cool thanks for the info guys. I will go over those points to make sure there are no loose connections in the wiring or earthing. Is not the coil pack because I replaced it since the problem first occurred (mentioned above)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
One other thing - is the fuel pump buzzing away every time when your restart the car?

jez111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
funny thing - the problem hasn't happened since posting. Thanks 88GreenVN, that is a bloody good suggestion. I will post back when I get to the bottom of it. Any other suggestions, please post!