Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Strange engine knock

Leinhart98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
So for my birthday i decided to go on a trip from victoria to port lincoln but my holden vt decides otherwise. About two hours out of port lincoln my oil light begins to flash and i hear a knocking from the engine, i pull over and walk to a servo buy oil and fill the engine but when i started the car im still getting a terrible knock and the knock seems to get worse when i accelerate, currently im sitting on the side of the road scared to run the motor in case i #### anything else up. Any ideas?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The oil light doesn't mean you are low on oil, it means you have no oil pressure. (this can be caused by low oil levels but 9/10 times its something more serious.), so you may have overfilled it now if you didn't check the oil level when you went and bought more oil.

If the engine is knocking and the oil light is on I suspect you have done a bearing (motor's a write off), if its a loud ticking instead of a knock then it's just no oil pressure to the top end in which case it may just be a bad oil pump or similar.

Best to take it to a local workshop first thing in the morning and get it checked out.

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
How did you go with this. Sounds like you have lost oil pressure or done a bearing as states above.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Sounds like a big end. Suck's for your B'day mate. Spoil yourself and get a hire car. The motors probably shagged anyway so just let it go. If you've found a mechanic by now you'll already know it's terminal. I hope we're all wrong.

Takes me back to the bad old days. If it makes you feel any better, at least you don't have a crying baby and toddler in the car and stuck in -14deg snowy high country with a shagged auto! Best of luck.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If it helps for the OP, I drove my 304 with bad bottom end bearings and 1-2psi of oil pressure for 3500km before it gave up, so you may even make it home if you want to risk it.

Luck of the draw though as to how far you will get.