Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange groaning / growling noise when cold

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
We all complain about the cold, but I've noticed my 2014 Calais V has started to do the same thing. It only occurs when the car is stone cold, such as when starting for the first time after standing overnight. Here's the scenario.

My house is on a hill. When I back out of the driveway onto the road, I can drive down the hill or up it (figures). When I drive down the hill, there's no abnormal noises. If I need to go the other way, I back out, shift from reverse to drive, and as I accelerate to drive away up the hill there's a horrible grinding/groaning/growling noise that seems to emanate from the transmission. It only lasts for a second or two at the most, and I've never heard it at any other time. If I repeat the manoeuvre when the car has warmed up, there's no noise. I haven't checked the transmission fluid level yet, which I guess I should do, because the car's only travelled about 6500km. Any suggestions as to what the cause of the noise could be, apart from low transmission fluid level? Gear changes are smooth and as expected. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
No, not really -- I've taken a video and will post it later on tonight. Thanks for replying.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0TUWe3fntw&feature=youtu.be

The noise only lasts about a second (at 0'8" on the video) and sounds like mechanical grinding or dry bearings. As I said in my previous post, it only occurs when the car is cold and I'm accelerating uphill.

As a side note, I see from the manual there is no mention of how to check the transmission fluid level. Another 'sealed for life' unit?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I don't think it's the park brake stuck on in my case, as there's no feeling of resistance when backing out.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I have a theory as to what might be causing the noise. Cold weather+cold engine/transmission = lower fluid level compared to hot weather/hot engine/transmission. Couple this with the car facing uphill and maybe, depending on where the pump pickup is situated, there's a short period of time when the fluid's not reaching the pump, causing cavitation and hence noise. Might be complete BS, but it's a start! :)

Stefan Nowak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Calais V Sportwagon
Howdy, reviving this thread if that's OK.

I've recently taken delivery of a '14 Calais V Wagon and experiencing this noise on reverse when the car is cold. I have to reverse up a slight incline out of my driveway - it seems to only happen under load.

Was this ever rectified? or just something that is lived with? I generally worry when I hear any grinding/dryness. It is only apparent when the car is cold, once warm, I try the same action again and there is no problem.

Cheers.
Stefan.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Nope, 4 years later it's still happening. I just make sure to accelerate gently until the noise stops - it only lasts for a second or two. The only difference is I don't worry about it any more!

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Not a belt? I am getting a weird short moan on cold start up and wondering if i have glazed a belt ...