Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange groaning / growling noise when cold

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Sir Les, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    We all complain about the cold, but I've noticed my 2014 Calais V has started to do the same thing. It only occurs when the car is stone cold, such as when starting for the first time after standing overnight. Here's the scenario.

My house is on a hill. When I back out of the driveway onto the road, I can drive down the hill or up it (figures). When I drive down the hill, there's no abnormal noises. If I need to go the other way, I back out, shift from reverse to drive, and as I accelerate to drive away up the hill there's a horrible grinding/groaning/growling noise that seems to emanate from the transmission. It only lasts for a second or two at the most, and I've never heard it at any other time. If I repeat the manoeuvre when the car has warmed up, there's no noise. I haven't checked the transmission fluid level yet, which I guess I should do, because the car's only travelled about 6500km. Any suggestions as to what the cause of the noise could be, apart from low transmission fluid level? Gear changes are smooth and as expected. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. matt202

matt202 New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VF SV6 MY14 Commodore
  3. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    No, not really -- I've taken a video and will post it later on tonight. Thanks for replying.

4. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0TUWe3fntw&feature=youtu.be

The noise only lasts about a second (at 0'8" on the video) and sounds like mechanical grinding or dry bearings. As I said in my previous post, it only occurs when the car is cold and I'm accelerating uphill.

As a side note, I see from the manual there is no mention of how to check the transmission fluid level. Another 'sealed for life' unit?

5. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    that's the sound my sv6 was making the other night when the missus bought it home, worked out the park brake was not releasing there was no light on the dash for it but it was stuck on.
    probably not the same issue as the video but that's what it sounded like.

6. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    I don't think it's the park brake stuck on in my case, as there's no feeling of resistance when backing out.

7. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    I have a theory as to what might be causing the noise. Cold weather+cold engine/transmission = lower fluid level compared to hot weather/hot engine/transmission. Couple this with the car facing uphill and maybe, depending on where the pump pickup is situated, there's a short period of time when the fluid's not reaching the pump, causing cavitation and hence noise. Might be complete BS, but it's a start! :)

8. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    Howdy, reviving this thread if that's OK.

I've recently taken delivery of a '14 Calais V Wagon and experiencing this noise on reverse when the car is cold. I have to reverse up a slight incline out of my driveway - it seems to only happen under load.

Was this ever rectified? or just something that is lived with? I generally worry when I hear any grinding/dryness. It is only apparent when the car is cold, once warm, I try the same action again and there is no problem.

Cheers.
    Stefan.

9. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    Nope, 4 years later it's still happening. I just make sure to accelerate gently until the noise stops - it only lasts for a second or two. The only difference is I don't worry about it any more!

10. 1985VK

1985VK Active Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    Not a belt? I am getting a weird short moan on cold start up and wondering if i have glazed a belt ...

11. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    Pretty sure it's not a belt -- it's a completely different sort of noise, more like dry bearings. It was quite scary the first time I heard it. Come to think of it, it could be cavitation in the auto transmission as the pump tries to suck up fluid that isn't there due to the cold and the steep angle of the car.

12. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    crazy that it is still happening 4 years on, I have had about 5 vfs since the one with the dodgy park brake and none of them have had that sound.
    I think you might be right about the angle because my driveway is only about a 25deg incline.

13. Eric Gleeson

Eric Gleeson Member

Members Ride:
    2013 VF International
    It could be just a thing with Commodores in general when it comes to the cold weather... I live in Hunter reagion of NSW and i remember about 5 years ago My '06 VZ Executive started shaking like absolutely mad one morning in the middle of winter and I even had a fault pop up on the dash saying ABS Fault or something like that (which turns out was just due to the battery going flat).

It really startled me because i'd never experienced that before with a vehicle.... i just fire up my car normally like any other occasion and all of a sudden it feels like i'm in a massage chair....

14. 1985VK

1985VK Active Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    Try spray a bit of water on the belts and then do a cold start up. If it does not make the noise then its probably the belts. My Vk started doing a weird cold start up groan and its a belt but it sounded like a bad bearing or pump.