Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange idle problem

brucethegoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Hello commodorians. My car is idling very strangely. It's hard to describe it will be fine for a little bit but then it will start sort of "splutter" and the car wobbles a little bit then it goes back to normal. The RPM doesn't move when it's happening. I have changed spark plugs, fuel and air filter, didn't make any difference. I ran a cheap scanner on it and it came up IAT sensor too high and EGR malfunction. Could this be the cause?

If it was anything else would it show up in a scan? Like say a problem with the fuel pump? I know sometimes scan tools say "running lean" if there is a possible air leak but get no such code.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
came up IAT sensor too high and EGR malfunction
Well both effect idle so start by cleaning the egr and replace the iac. Get a coke can cut 2 end off and cut it, lay it flat place egr on top and cut the same shape, cut off the 2 ears for the bolts and lay it on top over the egr to block the air off bolt it back down and test drive it if problem gone replace it or clean it and hope it works.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
pull your throttle body off and plenum and clean all the gunk out, get a new IAC if the current looks overworked

put brand new vaccum hoses on even if theyre not stuffed you have the peace of mind for next 5 years theyll be good, and clamp them up real tight

your dfi might be getting faultly, if you can score a cheap spare second hand coil pack and dfi, keep it in your boot as you may get stranded