Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange issue after installing timing chains.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Hey all, New here.
Before you panic, I searched this. Didn't come up in my results.

Okay, so I've got myself a 2008 SV6. (bloody Alloytecs, I know!!)

Recently got the help of one of my mates to get a timing chain swap done. After putting the chains on the car, we noticed that whilst we were doing a check to see if the engine can crank over by hand, even with all the spark plugs out, with all the timing marks on the chains lined up properly and with us using a proper cam lock set, we could barely turn the engine over (after we took the locking plates off, ofc). we're talking less than 20 degrees here.

With the chains off, (i.e, Isolating the crankshaft and pistons on their own) it'd spin about 180 in either direction, and not turn over fully even with the plugs out.

Was just wondering if anyone here's had this issue before, and if so, what your fix was for it? Sounds like a real stupid question, but i've never done chains on a car with Variable cam timing before, and this seemed a bit odd to me.

Any help would be tops!

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
It's an interference engine so you have to rotate the cams at the same time as the crankshaft or you'll hit an open valve with a piston at some point.
But, if the timing is correct it shouldn't happen with the chains on, so I'd triple check the timing.

Also, in which state was the engine before you changed the chains? If not running at all, I'd also check if it doesn't have a bent valve that is stuck open.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep timing is probably out - Check that you've got cylinder 1 on TDC and make sure the marks still line up as they should.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Yep! Turns out the timing was slightly out.

About 20 degrees or so on the crank, to be exact.

All the marks line up now, she's all good now :D

15672863_10207750552946829_2434331840793408344_n.jpg