Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange knock from 5 litre/trimatic

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
I have a strange knock/tapping noise coming from my 5ltr/trimatic.It only happens just after i crank the engine and along as the engine doesnt start(it kind off sounds like dropping a small spanner on the bellhousing while losely holding it at one end).Has anyone had any similar noises coming from there 5ltr?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
yeah mate mines got the same (308 tri). took it to me mech and he said either flex plate/converter or a prolem with the crank and starter....as the boys above said! does it happen when your drivin at normal speed or not? itl only get worse and louder. let me how ya get on with it....as im about to put mine to get it sorted?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
hey soop! my rear main seal has gone too, aswell as the problem of the flex/converter!
the mechanic told me all this can be done and fived with only lifting the motor out!
what are your thoughts to this theory?
cheers

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
It CAN be done while it's in the car, but they will probably only do the lower half of the seal (rope seal is 2 piece), which might cure it in the short term but isn't the right way to do it IMO. The proper way to do it is to pull the engine out, pull the crank out and replace the whole seal properly.

Might pay to ask EXACTLY what they will do before you give them the go ahead.

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
End up being the starter motor.Had a look today at it ,First i got under the car with a srew driver and cranked the engine(f*%k that was loud)but it didnt make the knocking noise.Then i unbolted the torque converter and spun it ,couldnt hear anything.Checked for cracks in the flexy plate,it seemed allright.Then i started cranking the engine and checking the starter every to time the engine did and didnt make the noise,sure enough every time it made the noise, the starter gear was really close to the flexy plate.