Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange noise from engine most days on first start

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
HI people,
I had a genuine Golden timing chain kit put in my Commodore VE as it was making a bad rattling noise on the first start most days. Everyone was telling me it was the timing chain as the car has done 234,000km, I picked up the car on a Friday afternoon after the kit was put in and was told the old chain was stretched as expected. I used the car on the weekend and from the first fresh start on the Saturday morning the noise was still there and I had to wait for the Monday to call the mechanic and tell him It's still making the noise.
On Monday morning he came over so he could hear the first start and it started perfectly making me look like a dick. He came over the next morning as well and once again it started perfectly on Wednesday I drove down to the workshop and left the car with him overnight so he could start it there to hear the noise on the first start and it started perfectly for him again and since then when I have started the car each day it has made the noise
I have posted a video of the car starting and the noise it is making in the hope someone here will know what it is, the video is below any helpful advice would be appreciated thank you for your time ...

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Yes,chain noise....Sounds like one of'em slapping against something..
Take it back,they have to fix it..

Also,I know it's your money but unless you got some other work done,2K was bit too rich.
Cause I know how much the genuine kit cost for trade.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
People really need to learn that just because an overhead cam motor has a chain noise on cold start does not mean the chains need replacing. It's also not a mileage issue either, chains are basically a life-of-engine component, unlike timing belts, which need periodic replacement. Oil pressure keeps your chains tight in Alloytecs (and Falcon OHC sixs) and as they age and/or your oils get old it takes a second or two longer to pressurise chain tensioners, hence cold start noise.

Horacehighroller

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2010 Int VE11 Omega LY7 LPG Statesman 09 LY7
Cam Phasers also require oil pressure.
(Search Justcommodores for "noisy VE at startup video")

But unless it has been serviced better than every 7,500km it probably was about to need chains anyway.

Last edited: