Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange noise?

Rg123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina II
hey guys
ive got a 94 vr berlina6 n it has started to make a strange ticking sound and sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. the idler pulley has a bit of play in it as does the harmonic balancer. could it be that they are just lose and i should tighten them? or they cant be tightened? or should be replaced? and does anyone have or had the same problem?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
If it's a distinct "tick tick tick tick tick" it could be a lifter. Can you hear the noise louder from under the car? If so it could be coming from your transmission.

Rg123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina II
nah its more of a coming and going noise every few seconds it gets louder n then subsides.

Gonzo19

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hey ive got a 95 vs acclaim, and i have a few problems with it..
First problem my car auto revs when its in park.
When i go on short trips it over heats and when i turn it off you can hear the water bubbling, about 3 weeks ago i had the hose changed and topped it up with coolant can anyone help me??

Rg123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina II
check for error codes n c wat comes up

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
hey guys
ive got a 94 vr berlina6 n it has started to make a strange ticking sound and sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. the idler pulley has a bit of play in it as does the harmonic balancer. could it be that they are just lose and i should tighten them? or they cant be tightened? or should be replaced? and does anyone have or had the same problem?

The harmonic balancer should have no play or movement - if it does it means the rubber is disintegrating and can fail suddenly (and leave you stranded!) - it also will make a tick as it hits the timing gear cover. Same for any idler pulleys that have free play - replace before they fail is my advice FWIW. Good Luck.

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
FG XR6 TURBO /RIP VT II LS1 Clubby, VR Commodore S
Rg 123 ive got da same problem , i took it to da mechanics dey told me it was the " big end " and tat da bearings in my engine wer gone dis dat i was told to replace my engine and transmission, u think u could give me an update on how u fixed dat problem, as u said it subsides after gears change den gets louder agn thanks

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
^ You've got to speak english when trying to communicate on an english forum.

rg123, tried taking the belt off and spinning the pulleys individually? Is it possibly coming from your emissions canister?