Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange one about an air filter

ghost82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8 Auto
Heres one for you guys, yesterday I changed my air filter and now my vt starts runs really rough for a second or two then splutters out, if you put your foot on the gas it dies straight away, now its not starting at all but Ive flattened the battery so I'm waiting for that to charge to see if that makes a difference, it was running sweet before that just had a dirty filter hence replacement. Ive checked wiring vac hoses etc all seem good. In playing around I found a bit of aerostart through the air intake gets it to fire and run properly for a moment until it runs out. This sort of leads me to think fuel is the issue so I changed the fuel filter today haven't tested yet. If its a fuel pump can they just die suddenly with no warning? Literally all I did was change the air filter car was running perfectly not even 5 minutes before changing it.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Fuel pumps in these are known to die at any given moment, probably a fair bet mate

ghost82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8 Auto
Spew I was hoping for a trick i dont know. Thanks man confirms my thinking cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If the fuel pump is priming when you turn the key I'd look for something else.

Probably at least worth checking the plug on your MAF to see if it's loose or disconnected or if there's a new split in the concertina of the intake pipe, it's in the vicinity of where you were working.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
probably dislodged wiring to maf or mat sensor

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I agree with the above , check the MAF plug and the intake tube to the filter box

ghost82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8 Auto
Ive checked maf wiring all looks good gave it a clean today no change. Pulled fuel line off at the filter where it meets the tank and cranking it over couldn't get any fuel to come out of it cant even hear the pump turning on. Can the pumps just die or is it more like an electrical problem? I've swapped fuses relays etc made no difference. Is there anything else controlling when the fuel pump turns on? Can I confidently say the fuel pumps buggered and just replace it don't wanta do the job and find its something else. And dumbass me forgot about fault codes until a few hours after I pulled battery, Im used to working on old patrols that I thrashed to pieces the vt is supposed to be my reliable cruiser lol. Ive had enough for the day its beer o'clock thanks for the replies fellas.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Pulled fuel line off at the filter where it meets the tank and cranking it over couldn't get any fuel to come out of it cant even hear the pump turning on. Can the pumps just die or is it more like an electrical problem?

Seems pretty conclusive then. Yes, the pumps can die at the drop of a hat, but it's not necessarily common or expected, it is 20 years old after all.

ghost82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8 Auto
Seems pretty conclusive then. Yes, the pumps can die at the drop of a hat, but it's not necessarily common or expected, it is 20 years old after all.

Yeah Ive only ever done em on patrols and you get a bit warning that they are on the way out, its the sudden death thats got me but all roads lead to rome. If only I hadnt filled right up on tuesday now Ive got a fun siphoning job. fuckin spew

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A well known trick to kick start a dud pump is to give the bottom of the tank a couple of solid whacks with a bit of timber. If this works, you can be pretty certain the pump has carked it.