Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange Power Problem

MJ_Maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
I have a VN V6 Auto. Runs fine when in park or nutral but as soon as it is put into drive it runs like it is on 5 cyl. Very rough, but only at low end of gears, runs fine when up to speed bt rough again between 80 and 100kmph. Any Ideas?:bang:

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
the basic things i would first do would be, get a new set of spark plugs and do a compression test on your cylinders. I changed my spark plug leads not long ago and i could definitely feel a diffrence power wise

MJ_Maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Problem is when it is not under load it runs like a dream regardless of what revs you put on it? Only does it when in gear.

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
similar problem with mine recently but there was stalling involved. i replace the coil pack and it now runs like a dream

MJ_Maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Whats the best way to check the coil pack, I can see it being the kind of problem where it turns out to be the lat item you replace on the car!

MJ_Maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Are the trans on a V6 auto notorius for sudden problems?

MJ_Maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
This sort of came up all of a sudden.

jared_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec S1
My vn was doing a similar thing but it didnt seem like it was running on 5 cylinders. It didnt bother me too much but on the weekend i took the bellmouth out and it now runs a hell of alot smoother. Just an idea?

jared_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exec S1
little air restrictor just after the throttle body. Probably decreases economy but theres a small price to pay for extra power. Its right under the 3800 sign. just unbolt the elbow after the throttle body and its just a peice of black plastic that slides out. Chances are it wont fix your problem. just my two cents.