Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange power steering noise

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
when i turn left only say half a turn, there is a kinda of grinding noise and sounds a little bit like liquid or something, i dont get it at all when turning right. im guessing it would either be the power steering rack or pump, but i wouldnt be sure.

it may have to do with my steering wheel is a little bit to the left (it looks like someone has taken it off and put it back on crooked)

got any ideas of what it could be? it sounds like its stuffed

EDIT:

it has leaked before, because the liquid has been down and i can see on the mount of it,
but now it doesnt seem to leak at all and its at full power steering fluid.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
Hi there by the sounds of what you have explained your first problem is your wheel alignment, this will be why your steering wheel is misaligned, and could well be the reason for your noise when turning in one direction, have your wheel alignment done, it will help at least and probably id any other suspension probs like worn tie rod ends bushes rubbers etc, once that is done you will be more the wiser have most issues sorted and if any probs remain you can deal with them specifically without the distraction of other sub-issues.

Regards Chris

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i "apparently" got it done, but i dont know if i did or not. whats involved in a wheel alignment? is it just where they put weights on the wheels to align them?
i wouldnt think that it would make a noise because of that :S

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ah okay, well sounds like the **** heads that i took it to, didnt even touch it, and it cost me 50 bucks extra.

would the wheel aliignment make my steering wheel properly aligned again at all? or is that something else i have to look at?

also got any ideas about what i should do about this noise?