Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange Ratcheting/clunking noise similar to CV noise under front VE 2009

Velocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve-SV6 9.5
I have a strange ratcheting clunking noise under the front of the VE "Intermittent"

Seems to be when IN OR BETWEEN 1st-2nd cogs.

Starts with a loud click then kinda ratchets 5 or 6 times before settling down and seemingly returning to normal???

Anyone got any suggestions as to what this may be????

Velocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve-SV6 9.5
Its booked in under warranty: HOWEVER! The noise is intermittent so you can guess how this is gunna go...

Rang Holden Cert Mechanic he said maybe transmission? Rang transmission mob, they said not likely... so it may end up being one of those around and around and around we go probs. LETS HOPE NOT...

Velocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve-SV6 9.5
Gunna put the vid cam in the car and record regularly around the times this has happened, seems to be 1st-2nd low TQ take off. "HOWEVER these times are questionable???"

Velocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve-SV6 9.5
Took the vid cam with today and recorded every time we got in and took off somewhere, except once "just forgot" GUESS WHAT? The only time I forgot to record that dagnang noise happened.... unbelievable hey?

This time the windows were up and I'm pretty sure you could feel it through the drive train? It's very supple and doesnt last long so it kinda leaves ya thinking (Did I feel that through the drive chain???)

Anyway back to the ol vid cam and trying to remember to use it...

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
All I can suggest is when you take it in make sure you drive it and don't be worried about his time keep driving til it happens, good luck.

Velocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve-SV6 9.5
Thats some sweet steel dude... Black rims look awesome.

Velocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve-SV6 9.5
Spent 1hr W/-vid cam today; start engine/stop engine drive/stop, drive/stop, turn right/drive/stop, turn left/drive/stop, reverse left/drive right, reverse right/drive left/stop, NO BLOODY NOISE.

mr Joshua

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 sportwagon
same noise

Mate I have the exact same prob 4 times to holden, no good. Driving me mad,
have you had any luck with yours? 2008 ve sportwagon

2011 sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 2011 s2
2011 sv6 same noise

I have a strange ratcheting clunking noise under the front of the VE "Intermittent"

Seems to be when IN OR BETWEEN 1st-2nd cogs.

Starts with a loud click then kinda ratchets 5 or 6 times before settling down and seemingly returning to normal???

Anyone got any suggestions as to what this may be????

i have a 2011 sv6 with the same noise holden in WA seem to think it is a vent actuator . this noise happens about 2-300 meters after take off

Peadub

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2009
I have a 2009 ss that has the same problem 2-300 meters after take off the noise is like a gear winding up I have a feeling it is the vent actuator as well as air con is blowing just hot air now, have 60,000 k service coming up will be interesting what the dealer has to say.