Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange roadworthy issue

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
today as i was returning home i had an officer pull me up to inform me that my tacho had to be removed as it was to shiny to have on my dash or piller how its shiny i dont know (its mat silver) but apparently its enough to make any car un roadworthy

ya learn something new every day i told him i would paint it black and would that be ok he let me go without a straight answer but i geaus it wont be shiny then

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
I have heard of this before but i think that it was with a chrome tacho...

Maybe he thought yours was chrome until you mensioned that you would paint it...

lol prob felt to stupid to answer you...

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
im not complaining he was nice about it he all so said he was looking for someone that fitted my description and the cars description for driving drunk and un regoed but yeh the tacho was his reason for the lights and sirens he took my info and assured me that if i fix the tacho he would never bother me again as well as any of the other police as long as i stayed on the right side of the law

just gos to show ya do all the right things including race on a strip not a street and thay still find a reason never had this problem in my fairlane oh well as i say im not complaining after all its his job

LOL its still stupid

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
It is a rule, pretty sure its a adr rule more than a state based rule though. But basically yeah nothing shiny on the dash and there is limits on how bright the lights are also on the tacho back lighting, which i think most "performance like" flashy tachos fail there too but its never picked up.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I was always under the impression that any additional gauges or dials had to be installed below the level of the car's original dashboard cluster, so as not to provide a driver distraction, or interfere with visibility.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
I was always under the impression that any additional gauges or dials had to be installed below the level of the car's original dashboard cluster, so as not to provide a driver distraction, or interfere with visibility.

sounds right to me, i have my gauges up my pillar because its easiest for me to see without taking my eyes off the road, you dont need a massive tacho... lol fit a Level 2 cluster and be done with it, only reason i have gauges is my dash boost gauge is measured funny and dosnt go very high. and my boost controller doubles as a digital boost gauge

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Keep in mind the law about nothing protruding from the dash that is in the contact zone of any passengers.....Thats why your not allowed a tacho.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
he said the position was fine just the fact it was silver but i spose this is one of the things that's up to a cops decision and i put this tacho in because i already had it and dont want to wast money on a new cluster