Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange smell after new exhaust

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
hey guys, a good bloke at work ran into my car whilst parked and long story short i ended up scoring a new exhaust (among other things). went for a cat back single muffler 2.5in lukey. got the car back yesterday and i'm just noticing a strange smell, kind of like a clutch smell (my car is auto), after driving the car. just wondering if this could be the new exhaust? thanks

barely legal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SV6
probly just be your exhaust burning in mate.
i got the exact same exhaust.
and it'd be the same for all exhausts that they have to burn in seeing as they havent been exposed to the heat that comes through from the engine.
you'll notice it start to get a bit louder too, especially when your engine temp gets up there.

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Could be the exhaust mate.

I had a similar thing when i got my redback exhaust. Some places paint a new exhaust after fitting, apparently it can protect the exhaust a little from normal rusting and such. For about a week afterward i could smell something odd, like the burnt clutch smell (mine is also auto).

Obviously if they didnt paint yours, it probably wont be that, so just call them and ask. Hope this has helped mate :D

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
its normal mate. it will go away soon and the note will change slightly too.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
It is the exhaust, because sports mufflers are usually packed with fibreglass ("glass packed"), they use that to absorb the sound and the gasses go straight through there instead of going into a chamber and coming out another pipe like a normal exhaust. I think it's the heat that causes it, but the smell will go away with time, and the sound will get better as well once the pipes get coated in carbon emissions

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
sweet, thanks a lot everyone. I thought it would just be the exhaust wearing in etc. the smell is starting to get away, and it is definitely getting a nicer note to it and a bit more volume which is good. when i got the car back from the panels i kicked it in the guts and it was quiet as. i thought this exhaust is gay man haha

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if it's mandrel bent it will also have the remains of what ever lubricant they used. mine sounded real raspy when it first went on but it's lot better after a few weeks of carbon buildup

damiandownie

Damo (Vl Walky replica)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 commy
it sounds like its just the exhaust, its just the metal being broken in, if you get my drift:p

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Myn had the exact same thing (and I have the same exhaust). Took a few weeks for me.