Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange sound inside the car.

English

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
i got a 96 executive and when ever i drive i seem to hear a weird sound coming from the front passenger side door, sounds to me like its around the speaker pod area.

pretty much just sounds like air is coming through somewhere, like a hissing noise.
and it only happens when i put my foot down.

i thought for some reason it could be the speaker, so i disconnected that but still there.
i then checked for leaves in the transfer vents between the door and dash but still heard the noise

really pissing me off, as i have to constantly listen to music to drown the hissing

if u got any ideas let me know!!!!!!!11

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
sounds like a vacuum hose has come off one of your vacuum modules that controls the vent opening and closing.
or your door seal has had it.....

English

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
lol no kids

door seal is fine

ill try get to that vacuum module, hard to find?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The vacuum answer may be correct...although you do say it happens mainly when you floor the pedal....and that's when there is minimal vacuum so that may rule that out. A method of checking that is to change the vent selector to another setting which them directs the vacuum to another flap....if there is no change then it's probably not vacuum related.
What does happen when you floor the pedal is heaps of hot exhaust gases are fighting to get out to the real world, and the tiniest of leaks from the manifold or the rest of the exhaust can make a hissing sound. So I'd check the entire exhaust system first....inspect the exhaust header/manifold first as they can crack.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
I had an odd issue like this, and tracked it down to.......the spring inside the seat height mechanism. Which is obviously near the front speaker pod.

It sounds like air but it isn't, drove me nuts for ages.

English

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
was it when you put your foot down though.

yer it kinda starts and stops when its hissing.

drives me f****ng crazy!