Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange stalling then kept going

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have a link to some high voltage Gorst coils at $100 a set inc del, might order those next week as well. I have read people having issues with the plug. Wondering if I need to book it in and have the plug checked out before I start fitting new parts? I wouldn't know how to test the plug other than clean it, squirt some RP7 on the contacts and refit it.
Look at pin 1 closest to radiator. Any carbon or crap? Female pins to male pins tight?
Also make sure where it bolts onto engine is clean. No rust or crap. Also coils to dfi.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a link to some high voltage Gorst coils at $100 a set inc del, might order those next week as well. I have read people having issues with the plug. Wondering if I need to book it in and have the plug checked out before I start fitting new parts? I wouldn't know how to test the plug other than clean it, squirt some RP7 on the contacts and refit it.
Are those Gorst coils with a dfi?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are those Gorst coils with a dfi?

No, Delphi DFI is another 85-90 bucks and bought from eBay Aust. Coils are from another site.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, Delphi DFI is another 85-90 bucks and bought from eBay Aust. Coils are from another site.
Losh, for me, the wiring was stuffed which stuffed the dfi & coils.
If you have a stuffed dfi, buying new coils won't fix your problem.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No I plan to replace the DFI and coils as well as plugs, it may just now be sooner than I thought. I have booked it in to the mech as I have a few things that need a diagnosis for. The plug is one, the miss is another and I am wondering if my FPR is on it's way out. I have heard that a faulty plug can take out a working DFI. So I therefore think it might be best to have it checked by someone who knows a bit more than I do and get the plug and harness right before I risk damaging new parts.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could be worth unplugging and just having a look at all the other sensor plugs too.
My VE had a few hiccups at idle too. One of the culprits was a heap of green corrosion on one of the pins in the MAF plug! I sure wasn't expecting that and just found it by accident.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
My plug`s bolt snapped off and left a bit.
qqjFpS9.jpg

3fxeMiH.jpg

CXI6Et3.jpg

Is the VS DFI plug the same as the VR?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Is the VS DFI plug the same as the VR?
yeah... might be different color wires but they all(pre VZ) use the same dfi and coil packs

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Losh always keep a spare dfi module and coil pack handy...just grab a set from the wreckers they are normally 40 to60$....
if you see a set without numbers on the coils grab them, as they prob have been replaced at some time and be newer....or get a low K set (from a VS VT VX VY)only takes a few min to swap out and its one Item you can remove from the electrical gremlins list when diagnosing an issue....

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
No I plan to replace the DFI and coils as well as plugs, it may just now be sooner than I thought. I have booked it in to the mech as I have a few things that need a diagnosis for. The plug is one, the miss is another and I am wondering if my FPR is on it's way out. I have heard that a faulty plug can take out a working DFI. So I therefore think it might be best to have it checked by someone who knows a bit more than I do and get the plug and harness right before I risk damaging new parts.
Losh always keep a spare dfi module and coil pack handy...just grab a set from the wreckers they are normally 40 to60$....
if you see a set without numbers on the coils grab them, as they prob have been replaced at some time and be newer....or get a low K set (from a VS VT VX VY)only takes a few min to swap out and its one Item you can remove from the electrical gremlins list when diagnosing an issue....
This is what l have done. (a spare dfi & coil packs from wreckers $50.00. A 13mm & 7mm socket is all that is needed).
Saved my ar#e a couple times.