Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strange stalling then kept going

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman sII 5ltr 1995 & VE SS V8 Commodore

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
wasnt havin a stab at ya

It's all good.....I didn't interpret your post as if you were :)

just letting @losh1971 know

I presume that you and losh1971 have communicated somewhere else on the forum from his comment "I assumed you too had a V6"

Can I politely suggest that in the future to avoid any confusion between yourself and other members, that if you want to respond to a specific member that you quote one of their posts and reply
Explains why I had no idea what you were on about and replied with "It's different to the plug on your 5 litre ? ? ? ? ? ?" when you've quoted my post and your reply was actually meant for another member

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ute is currently at the mech's workshop getting diagnosed. Funny thing is the issue has not reappeared since the RACT wiggled plugs and poured water on things. I have left the code up in case he wants to run his scan tool. I'm leaning towards an issue with the DFI plug. Since I would have thought if it were DFI module it would have stopped and probably not got going again. I also think if it was the CAS it would have stopped more often in the hot weather than it did. Also considering it's not a very old sensor I'm thinking it's unlikely to be a failing CAS.
I will pop up the answer once I hear back from the mech later this arvo. That is if he can actually figure out what cause it to stall. If he can't I will clean the plug and fit a new DFI in the next month or so just to be safe.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mech checked the DFI plus and all looks good. FPR was working fine as it should. He cleared the history of old codes that obviously I can not as they are nearly a year old and no longer showing up. He said he could not ascertain what the problem was. So basically I need to just drive it and either hope I am in mob range and can get the vehicle towed to him to sort or hope that I can get it started again. Guess the go is to buy a new DFI to have on hand. Apparently the engine is running sweet, so my interpretation of a miss is actually just me, it must be the way the Buick V6s are. In saying that the miss was not bad I just thought it wasn't quite running perfect. So in other words the miss was all in my head.....:oops: And there I guess lies the problem with the VR V6 these cutting out issues are not always easily diagnosed until they have total failure......

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I hope the check by the mechanic did not cost you a cheque ...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only 60 bucks. I was thinking $100. Saved me $120-$130 as I thought my FPR might have been shot, turns out it's fine. So not going to replace it now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So it happened again car died and has thrown error 46. I have had the DFI harness checked by a mech and have also replaced the DFI. I managed to start it after 5mins. Any ideas would be great?

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Still sounds like the CAS to me, once it cooled down its good to go. Whats the harmonic balancer like? Any splits in the rubber?
I wonder if cleaning the earths on the DFI / wiring would help or for that matter all the engine bay earths.

Code 46 - Ignition Module Fault, which i translate to mean DFI

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Carry water with you when it dies pour water over CAS if it starts faulty CAS.
How I`ll tell you what happened to me.
Driving at 60k car cut out I put it neutral turned key it started I **** myself.
No error code when scanned.
I guy on a Forum had same thing happened to him.
Holden got a Tec to drive his car home and work with the Tec2 connected for a week on the 5th day the car cut out and a code came up on the Tec2. Cas fault.
After that I put a new CAS that`s about 12yrs. ago never had any trouble since.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pete i don't think the issue is with heat and CAS. i say that because the engine today and a couple of other times has only been running for less than 10mins.

I am suspecting the CAS still, even though it is only 2 years old and Delphi.
I did have a belt shred a fair while back and some of the steel strings wrapped inside the balancer. I had some running rough issues but that stopped once i fished out the strings.
I am wondering if one might still be caught up inside. I also suspect i have a weeping crank seal although without pulling the balancer i can't confirm that. I read that @immortality described an issue with oil around the sensor doing a similar thing.

FX i doubt the balancer rubber is the problem as you tend to know on the V6 if the balancer is buggard.