Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange VT starting problems. NEED HELP!

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
I've recently replaced my fuel filter, fuel pump and starter motor so they are to be ruled out. My spark plugs seem to be fine and ive also had my coil pack tested also seems to be fine.

Basically what happens is when i kick it over it takes a while to start up sometimes 4-5 secs and when its cold in the morning even longer! On the random occasion it will actually start straight away but most of the time its very slow. I can't seem to figure out what it is, it happened ever since my last fuel pump died and i put in a new one. I have also replaced the BCM, keypad and ECU since i had them so i thought why not. My battery also seems to be healthy

One thing that may need to be looked at is when my mechanic (qualified and works from home) replaced the fuel filter, the clip was shredded from the previous person so we literally had to rip it off causing a hose to break. We replaced the hose with a little bit thicker hose and some hose clamps, no leaks although would this imply less pressure getting passed through the fuel lines?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, it's becoming very annoying!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
never rule out a part that has just been replaced
is it cranking over normally, not at all or slowly
if you turn ignition to reds, wait 5 seconds, turn off then turn back to reds wait 2-3 seconds and then try to start does that make any difference
when it does start does it idle normally

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
The changing of the fuel line and hose clamps with no leaks doesn't denote less pressure it just means the modification worked.....as for the length of starting you don't state if its a slow cranking speed or long time cranking before starting.... I would get a load test done on the battery and check the engine earthing

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
ok try cleaning the Throttle Body and Idle Air Control Valve.....recheck plugs best to replace if in doubt and check leads too

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
can be your fuel pressure regulator .... duel fuel starts on petrol first .

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Well, first and foremost, conduct a fuel pressure test and confirm it complies to specifications. Secondly, hook up a scan tool and check out the coolant sensor through its entire operational range. Lastly, you may have leaky injectors that are not holding back fuel pressure. Have someone stand at the back of your car and observe the car when it's first started and is likely to display your problem. If black smoke is seen at the exhaust, then rich mixture is indicated and likely flooding the engine. Check for possible high resistance between the CAS and DFI module. 0 ohms should be seen. High resistance in this region can result in low secondary K output. Having said all that, make sure your plugs are indeed healthy, along with your high tension leads. Just looking at them is no way a means of assuming serviceability.

Last edited:

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I have a similar problem with mine that I've never been able to resolve. I've found that priming the fuel system 2-3 times helps, however never have the occasion 'normal' start. Been on here for a while and haven't found a thread that resolves this particular issue, so hoping that it can be fixed here.

I have replaced the fuel pump, CAS, cam angle sensor, cleaned intake system, replaced the fuel pump only (not the sender), fuel filter, plugs and leads.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I had a similar problem, changed the fuel pump, filter etc.

Turned out I had leaky injectors. Starts within half a crank now :)

Hit up Nigel (The1) he can sort you out with reco injectors or get yours checked, I'd place by money on the injectors being your problem.