Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strangest ticking noise ever!?

Rg123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina II
ok here it is,
i have noticed a ticking noise recently. at first it was only slightly noticeable but now it has goten much louder than when i first heard it.
Now heres the strange part, it only happens when in drive. If i put it in nuetral or park there is no sound when i accelerate. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere between the engine and the steering wheel because i can hear it from inside the car and barely from outside. I dont think its my lifters because they have a quieter tik tik tik noise this one is much louder. I have got pacemaker extractors if that helps. can somebody please help its making me go crazy!

vrcalais5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais 5ltr
might be stupid but have you checked the tyres to see if one has a stone in it?

rayvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 LS1 FTW
mmm cant remember wats its called but that happened in my brothers vt i will find out wat it was called and let ya no but its a gasket somewhere

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
exhaust manifold gasket.

edit, just read the bit about it needing to be in drive.

Torque convertor? like loose bolts or something just touching the cover-plate. Had it happen on my VL but not sure if it can happen with new models. It was quite a ticking sounds and as the bolts loosen it'd get worse. At least it's an easy fix.

Grab yourself a bit of garden hose and use it as a stethoscope. Get a mate to put it in drive and hold the brake with a few revs and see if you can pin-point it to the front of the transmission.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As above - exhaust manifold gasket - leaks when worked as in Drive....no noise when not worked as in N or P.

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
i have the same problem with my stato after the gearbox rebuild. its only quite. i assumed it was the t/c since when you speed up with no throttle the ticking would speed up.

i dont understand how the hell it could be the manifold gasket. i highly doubt that.