Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strathfield radio rip offs???

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ahh well... should still make a nice difference :) Bit more power getting to the speakers.

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
well at the local stathfield near my house it cost $80 for them to install a H/U into my car with the life time warranty. They do a pretty good job on there installs of what i seen, I got my alarm/Central locking/keyless entry done to my car there and haven't had a prob yet

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
wes_v8 said:
well at the local stathfield near my house it cost $80 for them to install a H/U into my car with the life time warranty. They do a pretty good job on there installs of what i seen, I got my alarm/Central locking/keyless entry done to my car there and haven't had a prob yet
how many point was the immob? how much did it cost?

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
you dont really need to get the hu professionally installed, but if you are a millionare you could just give someone $100 to fit ya wireless while you sit there and drink beer or something.
I dont know much about comodores myself, my wife has a vp calais wich still has the original hu (these are the same as some mercedes benz), I have added a dvd player in the pocket under the hu, mistake I made was that the disc touches the shift knob when its in park.
I never really have much to do with modern cars, I like my 50's cars but a guy I was working with once asked me to fit a dvd player to his 2002 prelude.
I told him I would if he shouted lunch at maccas wich wasnt a bad deal becuase I basically just took out a pocket and srewed in the dvd unit using the screws and mounts for the pocket with no cutting or drilling, I soldered up the power wires and while doing it he noticed I use heat shrink tube and asked if I could re join the wires from his recent STRATHFEILD instaled poineer hu, a deal was made with the meal now being large and a sundae added.
You could probably buy a adapter from supercheap to just use the factory harness and buy a single din hu to keep it all basic and easy without cutting any of the factory harness.
A friend of mine had a immobilser installed in his fe ute with central locking, they ran the wires from the edge of the door trim and into the kick panel when there were two safe ways to run the wire invisble, they also charged him for their crappy ideas and work, I fitted central locking to my FC, it cost $25 for four doors, I then found a remote immobiliser at k mart on clearance for $44,and wired it to the central locking wich gave me a imobilser for $69, I had fitted some power window motors I found in blubird doors out the front of the scrap metal yard, there was a spare output on the immobilser remote for a boot release so I wired it to the drivers window so when you hold the two buttons down the window goes up. I then added a cruise control kit witch was on specail at auto 1 and come with a dummys guide installation video, point is you can do heaps more with little money and have it all how you want it if you do it yourself and you dont have to be a mechanic, trimmer or auto electrician, I am a car washer.

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i am not trying to be negitive or anything, but i think that i could disable a all black 3 point immob. it would take 10-15mins 1st time but really that immob is not too hard to get past.
the kmart 1 has nice thick wires for the starter right? oooo! goody lets joint them and look for anyother thick wires and fix ity all back up and bob's your uncle!
really, the alarm/immob is only as good as the install. if it was easy to fit, its easier to remove.
i got a really good bloke to install my alarm as a favour between mates with some slcoholic persuasion, and i can say that the effort that he went to was great, he really took his time making it as hard as possible with what was avalibal for the car to be stolen. and then i asked him how long for him to break in and start the car with the alarm/immob installed. less than 5 minutes!
so really an alrm will only stop a ameteur crook not anything experienced.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
no 2 installers are the same so it does take time to get arround alarms and imobilisers they are deterants not full proof devices like most people think.

anyone who knows there way around alarm systems and the different wiring systems eg auto elecs, auto fitters amd "alarm pigs" as there called will know whitch colour wire does what so its not hard.

but most criminals who steal cars arnt overly smart there just stupid punk kids or young wankers with nothing better to do and they do it out of jealousy, they are jealouse of the car that someone else has because they cant afford one.

alarms imobilisers kill switches club locks thses are all just deterants but if you have a car with a 3 stage imobiliser alarm with loud siren and internal screamer, club lock, and a kill switck for your ignition/fuel pump or what have you. then it will be LESS likely to be stolen than if you dont have these things.

and for my money id rather have the piece of mind knowing that a professional installed my 4 stage imobiliser, alarm with 170bd screamer, central locking, keyless entry. ive put my club lock on and my kill switch.

because anyone willing to sit through 170bds of screamer while trying to find the wires they need from the alarm and imobiliser, remove my club lock, find my kill switch or switches, hot wire it and be gone before i can get out there with my baseball bat and my rotty is more than welcome to it. but if there not done in time theyd better start running and hope they can out run me and my rotty

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
unfortunately most installers are the same. ignition, starter, fuel pump, pick any other places. thats the unfortunate part, you cant immobilise a car by cutting the brake light curcuit! the places are all the same.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
but were there joined is all different and where wires are run is all personal preference, and not all alarms are the same either they differ from brand to brand.