Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Streetable 304 build

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
TK likes 4 bolt caps & grout on anythiny decent or serious...everything else he'd most likely tell you studs or arp bolts.

450-500hp can still get away with arp studs but stroker that gets buzzed to 6.5k will need basic oil mods & tune on point.

Mixed up wish list & combination won't even need most of the flash gear talked about.

If 12k is budget start at diff work your way forward untill run out of money but better make sure everything is built to match desired result.

I did basic mods 304 efi/5spd getrag/3.9 lsd borgy into lc gtr many years ago was way quicker & more fun on street than people expected compared to 450-500hp f280 355 stroker,harrop single plane/vn heads,4.5k stall/trimatic & 4.56 geared 9inch...was wild yet streetable although nowhere you could hit it on streets without getting into trouble.

H

harrop.senator

In all honesty if it were me with how light the car is I'd just machine some love heart heads , 219/227 lunati hydraulic cam dual plane manifold and a Borg Warner conversion , 3.9's with a nice clutch.

But at the end of the days it's what he wants and he's stated he wants a rev the balls out of it little V8 .

**** gets expensive so fast and it's easy to go over board and end up hard parking it for a long time .

If it's a good runner now you can top swap one in a day and tow it to the tuners.

Jv911

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Hi all

Thought I'd chime in with some relevant info re pricing.

Just this week I was quoted roughly $1600 by 2 different shops for a 4 bolt conversion. That includes the caps, machining and ARP studs. Machining for a stroker kit was another $1600ish for de-burr, clearancing, 30 thou bore, welch plugs, main bearings and hot tank (but not balancing, grout, cam bearings and whatever else I didn't ask about.

Both shops said not to bother with girdles. Either just do ARP studs, or go 4 bolt mains.

Edelbrock heads are $4k vs $2500 for ported iron vn heads (both with roller rockers). Competition Engines did a youtube vid and out of the box the edelbrock heads flow the same as ported vn heads, and respond well to a tickle with the die grinder.