Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Streetable 304 build

H

harrop.senator

4 bolt mains are $270 extra then the girdle hence I said extra.

I've not had a 4 bolt main conversion done . I know you need to drill and tap the holes that's pretty obvious.

I don't know everything about them. I was a mechanic not an engine reconditionist and now work in engineering. I only know what I've raced , broken , repaired and repeated.

You can definitely line hone a main I've had it on a few invoices before.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

I've not had a 4 bolt main conversion done . I know you need to drill and tap the holes that's pretty obvious.

I don't know everything about them. I was a mechanic not an engine reconditionist and now work in engineering. I only know what I've raced , broken , repaired and repeated.

Yes line honing can be done but when you install new caps they need to be bored before they get honed just like a cylinder. Watch the videos.

H

harrop.senator

Fair enough I've had two blocks line honed when different caps were fitted but we're still the same amount of bolts on factory.

I'll watch it once I get in to the workshop. I hate watching videos out loud and I'm trying to find some new pulleys for the cylindrical grinder before I have our metal machine shop make some.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Those are the caps them selves not installed. Now add machining which will be 5 to $600 then an extra set of bolts.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Come racing say that the v8 Holden is ok with 2 bolt mains until over 480 - 500 hp. Op is not looking for that sort of power.

H

harrop.senator

It's way more than $270 for 4 bolt mains.
You say you know lot's about engine building but you don't know how much a 4 bolt mail conversion costs.

When you do the conversion you need to mill the webbs down drill and tap the holes then you need to bore the mains not hone they need a re-bore. You can't use a hone machine to bore the main tunnel.

Here is a three part video series on the boring process.

Come racing say that the v8 Holden is ok with 2 bolt mains until over 480 - 500 hp. Op is not looking for that sort of power.

He's not looking for that much power but he's saying he wants to rev it. The general consensus is that 2 bolt mains on a Holden are safe to 6500 . Some say 7000 with a good balance job.

My machinist says intermittent 6700 on stock stroke. My 355 was span to 7000 in the original car it was in and did number 1 main bearing within 10k.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
He's not looking for that much power but he's saying he wants to rev it. The general consensus is that 2 bolt mains on a Holden are safe to 6500 . Some say 7000 with a good balance job.

My machinist says intermittent 6700 on stock stroke. My 355 was span to 7000 in the original car it was in and did number 1 main bearing within 10k.

Did it have a girdle?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
No it didn't. The three machinists I have used all told me not to bother with one and to run a 4 bolt or leave it as is.

Tony Knight has wrote about the benifits of them and my engine machinist has told me they work too.

H

harrop.senator

Yeah I asked them because I started by playing with Nissan engines which run them factory and I rev one of them to 9.5k.

The places I spoke to here said it was only a couple hundred difference in machining cost and 4 bolt was a much better option. Leave it or 4 bolt it