Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strereo installation - custom

bad habits

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute series 2
:b: Can anyone give me any info on a custom stereo installation into a vs series 2 ute. I'm looking at fabricating a new back wall straight down from the rear window and then cutting and installing my 2 x 12 inch subs into the compartment i have remaining. Can anyone tell me if they have done anything like this or similar and whether it can be engineered approved please? any info would be greatly appreciated. :b: :b: :b: :b: :b: :b:

stumps5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Hi,

My mate has a vs ute and he purchased it with a stereo installed. IT has an amp bolted to the back of the console inbetween the console and the rear wall. HE has a sub woofer in a compartment in the tray, i belive the fuel pump is in there. This section cannot be seen which stops would be thieves. There is also a panel within the cab which can access this compartment. Once this panel is removed bass pumps into the cabin. It sounds very effective and clear and requires no illegal modifications ie cutting rear wall. I recommend this option to you.

J

jarman

ah yer been there done that. I had a vr ute which the owner before me decided to cut out about 3/4 of my rear wall and siggaflex a metal box to it. It was to much hassle from the cops so i got rid of the bastard just do the good old put the sub next to the fuel tank trick it works a treat if ported properly.

V

vg_ute

does anyone know where i can buy a box that fits next to the fuel tank?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
if you look in the car audio forum someone has posted the plans for that box.

vn88calais

Perth Representative
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY Commodore 2002
if u get the latest STR33TC0MM0D0R3S magazine theres a VZ Ute with a custome rear tray and a custome stereo install inside, looks mint, for those who know what im talking bout the plates r "7ONER" looks mint IMO

cheers, Todd

Sir VxSs

Its gotta B a GenIII !!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss II 6SpD
sub

hey mate if you do go with putting the sub in the back tray!! does really need to b ported properly and a fairly decent sub!! also depends on you, im a huge BASS man:yeah: so coming from a jl 15 in my boot in 75 litre box to a tiny little thing i was never happy! i found the best way was a band pass box! also i tried for a while i made a box that sits on top of your console just squeezed inbetween the to seats and came out about 30cm from the back wall! ( desperate uh! ) but just no room! last thing lay noise deadner on the under belly of the lid and the whole!! good luck mate hope you are happy with it hpe i helped:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Ute
Hey m8, yer it's wat i've dun to mine. Vr ute
Took a whole out of the cab and built the subby box in to the tray, not sure bout engineered license though, neva bothered to check. Also may wanna check on structural stability if u wanna cut two hols in ther.......
Bolted the subby in to the cab from both ends.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ViN3Y

V!N3Y
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
97 HSV Clubsport
hey mate,
i know its not a vs ute but with my hj i completely remover the back wall and relocated it dropping it straight down from the window creating a small compartment behind the seats but left my self enough metal from the original wall to use as backing plates for the 6'9z im throwing in dont particularly want a sub..
not sure if that would work with a vs ute but yeah just thought id throw the idea out there for you.
anyways it passed as mechanically safe due to the fact u cant really tell the walls been moved back unless you know wat your looking at.
tis a big job but requires heaps of work time money and your car off the road for a few days.
hope you find wat your looking for..