Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stripped sump plug bolt

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Hey guys. Anyone got any tips on removing a stripped sump plug bolt?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Depends on how ####ed out it is.

Just enough for an open ended spanner to slip off? Use a ring spanner.
Just enough for a ring spanner / double hex socket to slip off? Use a single hex socket.
Totally unrecognisable as a bolt? Use vice grips or stilsons.
No head at all left on the bolt? Weld a nut on to the remaining thread then proceed with a single hex socket.

After the sump plug is out, and the oil is draining, slap yourself in the back of the head for not using a single hex socket in the first place.

And don't attempt to remove it unless you have a new one sitting there ready to go in. ;)

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Lol cheers for that advice the vice grips are what stripped it in the end. Has 2 sides of thread left. Might go buy a bolt and see how I go. Might take a few beers and perusing

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
LOL, 'sall good.

Good luck with it. :p

You can also use a chisel and hammer to try and undo it, like use it on the outside edge of the plug, at an angle so it doesn't slip off and tap it around... A bit butcher-ish, but doesn't require the use of a welder.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just file new "flats" onto the bolt with a flat file, and then tap a tight fitting "quality brand " open end spanner on it, then remove the plug as normal.. My sump plug was completely rounded off when I got my car. I filed new flats onto the plug and got it out. I then used a bench grinder to grind all new flats around the bolt. It was now a size 16mm. It worked so well that its still there 6 years later. I change my oil and filter every 5000 km or around every 3 months roughly, so it sees a lot of use.
Not long ago I read on here that a couple of guys buy brand new sump plugs and washers for every oil change, just so the sump plug doesnt leak or some crap like that.. Ive used the same old copper sealing washer on mine for 6 years also now, and it never leaks, not even a weep. If these new sump plugs are say, around $10 each, and I did this from when I first got my car, then I would have spent $240 on sump plugs. Pfff.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Yeah she's bloody stuck. Got the new bolt and she just won't budge. Now it's really threaded lol. Yep might have to sell the car. Just had rego 2 days ago, might just get $500 for it lol. Might go to the man with the tools. will have to put up with "this is why you should never buy a Holden" bloody ford supporters. ;) cheers

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Drill a hole in the bolt and use a easy out or if you can cut a slit in whats left of the bolt head use a chissel or screwdriver and tap it around as id guess it wont budge using the screwdriver the correct way.

Last edited:

m_brown_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1 V6
Grab a hacksaw, Cut a slit down the middle, Get a fat screwdriver stick it in the hole, Grab the handle of it with your vice grips or use a spanner and turn